Took in a red footed tortoise in bad shape. Please help

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Poor neglected thing. I'm SO glad you stood up for this little tortie!! I'm not so great with diets for this species... but depending on how old your tortoise is, we might be able to help tell the gender unless you already know.:) And welcome!!

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My indoor enclosure is currently 4X4, and I am able to expand easily. I use the lifetime raised garden bed, which allows me to expand to an 8 x 4 when I'm ready.

It came with A tent top, which holds in humidity and heat very very well. In fact, when I first set it up after checking my temps, I had to remove a heat bulb. Then I made my own homemade fogger. Super easy.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493867126.981498.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493867143.480337.jpg

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
The fogger is a crane humidifier from target. I think it was 35 or $40. We cut an inch off the top and inserted vinyl tubing....ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493867289.012322.jpg The base and the top don't match because I have two of them LOL. I'm very pleased with this brand.

Also, I try to spray my tortoises' shells every day. Also soak them.

Kasia

Poland
My indoor enclosure is currently 4X4, and I am able to expand easily. I use the lifetime raised garden bed, which allows me to expand to an 8 x 4 when I'm ready.

It came with A tent top, which holds in humidity and heat very very well. In fact, when I first set it up after checking my temps, I had to remove a heat bulb. Then I made my own homemade fogger. Super easy.View attachment 206516View attachment 206517
It looks wonderful :)

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
It's awesome that you took him in. I feed mine mostly collard and turnip greens with Mazuri. I soften the Mazuri with water and add a verity of fruit and veggie baby foods for lots of variety. They also LOVE mushrooms, and once a week I give them grain free cat food. Mine also have a cuttlefish bone in their enclosure.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
Wow, hate these stories, glade u stepped in...some great people on the forum...I rescued mine from somebody who rescued it from some body...nobody on my side was horrible...just unprepared ....greens, mangoes, zoo med forest diet...I use croc chow on protein day..some people here hate it but it's safe, clean, full of calcium and protein...my little female runs to it..but I limit it..I never like canned dog or cat food...but variety .. I pick dandelions, plantains and chicory...she not much on pansy flowers yet...high calcium diet....simple steps zoo med or mazuri tortoise as go too food..then start developing your routine ..soak not drown your tortoise 3 days a week..20 mins.. research ...research on best practices.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Would love to hear something on this...! Something good, hopefully.