Took in a red footed tortoise in bad shape. Please help

Haylily

Hey guys I am new to this forum world. I acquired a red footed tortoise. I went to a friends place and seen a tortoise in their basement she said that her brother doesn't take care of it and I felt bad because it looked like it was in pretty bad shape so I asked her brother if I could take it. It still walked over to me when I went to its container so it was holding on but it wheezes when it breathes and it looks like its legs formed funny from the way it walks. He said it was a red footed tortoise but looks almost nothing like one. Red footed tortoises look more moist and the one I have looks so dry (I soaked it in warm water when I brought it home) Right now it is in a wooden container with wood chips and 2 heating lamps on one side with a planter bottom bowl on the other for water. Looking at the pictures of what a red footed tortoise should look like makes me really sad because you can tell this one went through some hard times.

Thank you to whom ever is reading this I really don't know what I can do. I have been feeding it spring mix, mangoes, tomatoes and half of IMG_7988.JPG a banana at a time and she's had some strawberries in the last few days. Her "beck" was long so I trimmed a little off with a nail clipper but didn't want to go any further.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, welcome and thank you for taking it in. The brother is quite a jerk, but then again, why didn't anyone else in the family speak up or help the poor thing out! Ugh.
The tort needs high humidity but with the top layer of substrate remaining dry. A tube flourescent UVB is the better light for RF. It has MBD, (Metobolic bone disease) better care, UVB and diet should help with that. I would get him set up outside if possible for warm days and house him in a humid environment at night and cold days. I don't know much about their diet except they need protein. Someone else will be able to help you further good luck.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I feed about 50%fruit. Redfoot are a species that can process sugars.
But things like Kale, hibiscus leaves, flowers, dandelion, etc should be included and up to 10%protein.
I use high quality wetted dry dogfood. (Because I also have a dog)
High humidity and warmth are also needed. Temps of between 80 and 86 are just right.
They tube UVB is also a great idea. Outside time, even better.

Haylily

How do I make it more humid? Does anyone have a picture of a turtle table with the humid just right? I don't know how to make this guy more hydrated looking at other red foots they look like they retain a lot of moisture but this one doesn't. I live in Illinois so the weather is very unpredictable here. The uvb tube light you guys talk about is it an actual light? Is there a picture of he exact thing someone could post so I could get it?The 2 bulbs that are keeping it a little warm now aren't real lights but it is in my kitchen now so she gets enough light.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey guys I am new to this forum world. I acquired a red footed tortoise. I went to a friends place and seen a tortoise in their basement she said that her brother doesn't take care of it and I felt bad because it looked like it was in pretty bad shape so I asked her brother if I could take it. It still walked over to me when I went to its container so it was holding on but it wheezes when it breathes and it looks like its legs formed funny from the way it walks. He said it was a red footed tortoise but looks almost nothing like one. Red footed tortoises look more moist and the one I have looks so dry (I soaked it in warm water when I brought it home) Right now it is in a wooden container with wood chips and 2 heating lamps on one side with a planter bottom bowl on the other for water. Looking at the pictures of what a red footed tortoise should look like makes me really sad because you can tell this one went through some hard times.

Thank you to whom ever is reading this I really don't know what I can do. I have been feeding it spring mix, mangoes, tomatoes and half of View attachment 205556 a banana at a time and she's had some strawberries in the last few days. Her "beck" was long so I trimmed a little off with a nail clipper but didn't want to go any further.
Hi @Haylily
Where in the world are you, how big is this tortoise and what sex is it?

I have a couple of torts like this one, unfortunately there are still many people who just do not care for these guys correctly. On a positive note, if you provide correct care from here on in you should have a friend that will live a long life.
You need to get a set up so you can provide humidity at around 80%. You need to provide an ambient temperature of between 80/86f.
To do this I use a CHE (i see you have one) on a thermostat and a UVB strip light on a timer. All this is pointless unless your tort is in a closed chamber (or if your lucky enough to live in the correct climate). There are some good and inexpensive ways to create a closed chamber.
Tortoises need to be hydrated or they will pyramid, also they need a good diet for healthy growth , D3 is a vitamin that comes from the sun, UVB light and animal protein. Without D3 your tortoise can not grow strong(MBD will kick in).
So for now you need to bathe this tortoise in warm water every day for 15mins, also spray your tortoise Carapace (shell) every morning and evening and keep the humidity up, this will make sure he's hydrated. You can back off with soaking later.
For diet you need to feed weeds/greens with fruit, mushrooms and animal protein. But you need to make sure he eats the weeds/greens part of the diet, if fed fruit every time he may ignore the weeds/greens.
So if that was my tort, every day I give him an unlimited supply of weeds/greens with a piece of fruit or mushroom the size of his head. So for example a pile of weeds with a strawberry, the 1 strawberry will not fullfil his hunger so he will have to turn to the weeds. Feed fruit 3 times a wk and mushrooms 3 times a wk with weeds/greens. Once a wk feed animal protein with weeds. For protein there is quite an array of foods to chose from and everyone has different opinions on what to feed. I'll give you a list and you can try what ever you want from the list.
Cat foot (low fat with vit D3 in it)
Scrambled egg(with the shell in it)
Cooked chicken.
Pinkies
Fuzzies
Chicks
Worms
Slugs
Snails
There are more many more, I know some that feed herring or mackerel from time to time.

Also put a cuttlebone in the enclosure for your tort to chew on for calcium and beak work. Throw the odd eggshell in too.

Kasia

Poland
How do I make it more humid? Does anyone have a picture of a turtle table with the humid just right? I don't know how to make this guy more hydrated looking at other red foots they look like they retain a lot of moisture but this one doesn't. I live in Illinois so the weather is very unpredictable here. The uvb tube light you guys talk about is it an actual light? Is there a picture of he exact thing someone could post so I could get it?The 2 bulbs that are keeping it a little warm now aren't real lights but it is in my kitchen now so she gets enough light.
You cover the top of your enclosure to retain heat and humidity. Search forum for closed chamber enclosure that will give you an idea on what to do. Take good care of him/her, good luck for you both:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I didn't see this post before I replied.
To keep it humid you need a closed system, yours is an open table, so the humidity and heat is just rising out of the table into the rooms ambient temperature. I think the quickest way to get things sorted is to use one of those tent type things. @christinaland128 , can we see your enclosure please, and what size is it?

This is a random photo I found of a UVB tube light and it's controller. You can get all-sorts of lengths and strengths of light. They all fit into same controller. There are 2 size fittings, T5 and T8. So get same bulb to fit your controller.
10.0 tube lights are stronger than 5.0 so can be hung higher up.

To make it simple for you, get a T5 tube, 5.0 at around 15" with a controller to suit. Hang it about 8 to 10" above your torts Carapace over the feeding area.(there should be instructions on the light packaging on how high to hang it). This way he will get D3 from the tube everytime he eats.
Screenshot_2017-04-23-11-10-29.png

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
This is an inexpensive way to close the top. As you see I use clear shower curtains. I use screen lids for tanks (these are 36 inch ones) to hold the lights and foil to cover around those. The last photo is a setup for a box turtle using the tent method.

These don't look great but get the job done.

Attachments

• 20170423_072602.jpg
    20170423_072602.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 20170423_072626.jpg
    20170423_072626.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 20170423_072632.jpg
    20170423_072632.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 20170423_072707.jpg
    20170423_072707.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56

Haylily

This is an inexpensive way to close the top. As you see I use clear shower curtains. I use screen lids for tanks (these are 36 inch ones) to hold the lights and foil to cover around those. The last photo is a setup for a box turtle using the tent method.

These don't look great but get the job done.
How do you hook up the humidity in the tank? I will do the clear shower curtain that's a good idea. I feel like with that much light in the tank it would hurt the tortoise's eyes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Redfoot don't like bright light.
That type of strip UVB will not broadcast too much. (Too bright)
It is also what I use.
The light in your kitchen will let you see the tortoise, but it is of no benefit for him/her. Neither is sunlight coming through a glass window.
Only UVB from the sun without glass, plastic or screen filtering it or a suitable light source designed to provide UVB. And not one of the coiled, compact bulbs that the pet store will try to sell you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
How do you hook up the humidity in the tank? I will do the clear shower curtain that's a good idea. I feel like with that much light in the tank it would hurt the tortoise's eyes.
There is nothing to hook up.
Once you have a semi sealed enclosure. A closed chamber. The humidity will be trapped inside.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm not sure what you mean about the light? I have one strip flourescent in each enclosure. I turned the overhead flourescent on in the room just for the purpose of taking the photo.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The substrate is slightly damp. I spray once each day. The plastic covering traps the humidity inside.

Alicia Hoogstra

Wow another innocent life saved! Poor little one. You are well on your way to making the little ones life happy and healthy!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I took one in last fall that wasn't nearly as poor off as this little guy, but was still showing moderate pyramiding. I have been following the advice of Anyfoot ever since and I couldn't be happier. My tortoise has gained about 75% in size and all new growth is coming in super smooth.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You are at the right place for help! I have only one thing to add.
The substrate - wood chips? I don't think it is ideal, and some wood is toxic to reptiles, like cedar and pine. Plus he may swallow it and it gets stuck somewhere in his system and may cause a lot of problems you don't need now at all! Someone here will suggest a better substrate.

Rachel337

Alberta, Canada.
First of all, thank you so much for rescuing that little guy.
I use more of a dirt type substrate for my Red Foot, it seems to hold in humidity really well, I think its called jungle earth or coco fibre works well too. They also like to dig and cover themselves in the substrate so dirt might be better for that. Forest moss/sphagnum moss also helps to keep the moisture in, you just soak it in water and sprinkle it around the enclosure. I also use clear shower curtain over the top to keep they heat and humidity up.
Good luck with your new friend, they are quite to little characters!