1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Too late to start hibernating?

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Mogwai, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

I have two tortoises called Ronnie and Reggie. I believe they are Hermann tortoises, but not definite. Inherited them from my brother in law a couple of years ago after his daughter lost interest in them, and I still have not got hold of the certificate that came with them when he bought them.

Ronnie weighs 331 g and is 11.5 cm long.

Reggie weighs 333g and is 11 cm long.

They both seem to want to be hibernating, but I wasn't sure if they are a healthy weight and size to be hibernated yet?

Would really appreciate some feedback.

Attached Files:

2. Gillian Moore

Gillian Moore Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    HI @Mogwai and a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Adorable torts! :<3:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the care sheets available.

There is also a section on "Hibernation" which should help answer your question.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

We usually tell people to keep a new-to-tortoise up their first winter with you. This gives you a chance to get to know the animal and understand if it is healthy enough to hibernate.