Togo

siansian

My tortoise won't bother eating he's just scratching corners and running wild

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @siansian and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure asap.

The enclosure may not be large enough. Please keep in mind that these cute little animals are used to roaming around in the wild. Therefore, the bigger the enclosure the better.

Where do you live and what is the weather like nowadays?

siansian

Manchester it's not too warm not too cold but he lives inside anyway with his lamp on

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
We need more details before we can help. How large is the enclosure? How warm is the enclosure (actual temperatures)? How long have you had this tortoise? What species/size tortoise?

siansian

Had him a month he hasn't eaten for like 6days he used to eat broccoli and cress now he won't bother he just wants to walk around

image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

There's an awful lot wrong with the way you have your new Russian tortoise set up.

Tortoises are stiff. Their shell makes it so they don't bend. You've got food sitting in a bowl made for lizards. Your tortoise would have to climb vertical then stretch his neck downward in order to reach that food. This is a very uncomfortable, and unsafe position for a tortoise to be in.

The food you're offering might say it's for tortoises, but real tortoises don't recognize manufactured food. They're used to eating growing things. If you offer your Russian tortoise dark, leafy greens that you buy at the produce market, I'll bet he'll eat them.

Your tortoise needs to be able to sit in the sun (either real or artificial) and warm up his inner core to at least 80F degrees. If he can't get that warm, he won't eat, as the food will just sit in his stomach and rot. Think of it - YOU are 98.6F degrees. That's almost 100F degrees. Your tortoise's insides are only as warm as the room around him. That's not nearly warm enough to get him to eat. So he needs a light or the sun.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Likewise the water bowl looks like a deathtrap to me.
Use a cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate big enough for him to soak in.
The enclosure is too small. You need at least 8' by 4', they need exercise as well as a warm body to digest their food properly, they roam miles in their natural habitat,
The substrate seems to contain white bits, perlite or calcium bits which encourage tortoises to eat the substrate and can cause impaction.
Have a good read of http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Sorry to criticize but we only want what's best for Togo.

siansian

Thanks, the pet shop guy gave me the full set up so I assumed it was right and I have noticed him struggling to get in and out but he seems to like a challenge as he keeps going back haha but I'll sort that thank you ,he has the lamp and I do buy him leafy greens he did used to eat them but he's just not now his just really hyper active

siansian

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Likewise the water bowl looks like a deathtrap to me.
Use a cheap, shallow, terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate big enough for him to soak in.
The enclosure is too small. You need at least 8' by 4', they need exercise as well as a warm body to digest their food properly, they roam miles in their natural habitat,
The substrate seems to contain white bits, perlite or calcium bits which encourage tortoises to eat the substrate and can cause impaction.
Have a good read of http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Sorry to criticize but we only want what's best for Togo.
no its fine I need as much info I can get thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pet stores are in business to sell stuff. What they don't seem to realize is usually the RIGHT stuff is more costly than the junk they want to push off onto you.

Please read the care sheets and all the info in the links given to you above. It will help you get him set up properly.