toenail snapped off what should I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlietort18

5 Year Member
This morning my torts toenail came off I havent found the nail but there was blood. Is it normal for them to fall/snap off?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi charlietort18:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

No, its not normal. He probably got it caught in something and in struggling to get loos, it broke off. Just treat it with whatever first aid procedures you would treat yourself in the same situation.

wosman

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi charlietort18:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

No, its not normal. He probably got it caught in something and in struggling to get loos, it broke off. Just treat it with whatever first aid procedures you would treat yourself in the same situation.

This hasn't happened to my tortoise, but I'm curious. So would cleaning the area with a BZK (benzalkonium chloride) wipe and then wrapping it gauze be the answer here?

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
The gauze wont hurt but is not needed, lol, he probably wont keep it on.. soak the affected area in clean water, dry it and apply Triple Antibiotic Ointment , should be able to get some at Walmart or any pharmacy, main concern is to keep it clean until it closes and begins to grow a new nail, if he will wear the gauze it will help.. I've treated MANY patients in this situation.. human patients

Status
Not open for further replies.