To uvb or not to uvb

Andy27012

5 Year Member
I am planning on getting a couple of m.e.es unless someone on here has a source for m.e.ps and have read varying opinions on the nessecity of uvb. For the first couple of years they will be inside only due to my neighbors cats. Should I provide a source of uvb? The cage will be large enough for them to escape the light if needed/wanted. I'm torn between a mercury vapor bulb at 15-20 inch distance as to provide proper temps or a ceramic heater. They will be in front of a window with blinds that gets morning light if that matters. Also wondering how often/long to soak these guys for? My last tortoise was a leopard so it's a different ball game this time.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
All tortoises need some UVB to help them make Vitamin D to help them absorb dietary calcium which prevents Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD)

Some species (eg Redfoots) are better than others (eg Leopards) in getting Vitamin D from dietary sources.

If a tort is to be kept entirely indoors, without regular and frequent access to outside and natural UVB from the sun, then a UVB lamp is essential. Just don't get a compact CFL (coil type bulb as they can harm tort eyes)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
beneficial rays from sun cannot travel through glass so unless window is open and the tortoise tank is open top (which isn't good for them unless the whole room is 80% humid) its not beneficial at all. Even a screen filters the sun. For instance my husband has trouble getting a tan under our screen lanai but go out the door and lay in the grass out back and whammo! Chard hubby...The mep grow FAST. In two years they'll grow from 130 grams to 4.5lbs you may want to stick with the Mee since you need them inside for a while.

OH! And while we're talking mep/mee care use digital thermometer/hygrometers with 3ft probe. 11 bucks on amazon. The button type that you stick on inside walls wont work in high humidity applications. The mechanical works get water in them and you get inaccurate readings. your enclosure walls should be dewy with condensation.

Last edited: