to provide daylight...

rafael lopez

i whant to know if a: Green Gro LED Bulb (13 Watt) is good for vussualy stimulate daylight in a clossed chamber for a sulcata tortoise and also be able to grow grass in it

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I don't know what make/brand Green Gro is, but a lot of grow lights for stimulating leafy growth are red/purple looking and would not be good for your tortoise. Grow lights aren't aiming for simulating daylight, they're aiming to simulate the part of the spectrum plants use for photosynthesis. What colour is the light produced by these grow lights?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't know what make/brand Green Gro is, but a lot of grow lights for stimulating leafy growth are red/purple looking and would not be good for your tortoise. Grow lights aren't aiming for simulating daylight, they're aiming to simulate the part of the spectrum plants use for photosynthesis. What colour is the light produced by these grow lights?
I agree with Sarah. The UVB spectrum needed for plant growth is different to that needed by a tortoise

Get a UVB lamp designed for reptiles and not plants

rafael lopez

i wont use uvb in the enclosure, someone told me that if in going to take the animal out regularly i dont need it, but that i still have to provide daylight and i dont know what can i use for that

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have a sulcata I believe

A Sulcata must be able to bask at 35C/95-100F in order to raise its body temperature sufficiently to be able to digest its food and be active. This requires a reflector spot bulb of at least 60 Watts (it depends on the enclosure)

Like this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487167030.405788.jpg

If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour on 3-4 days a week then UVB lighting is not essential. However, it does no harm and if the weather is bad, or you can't get it outside for another reason, then it means your tortoise is still getting the UVB it needs.

rafael lopez

i don't have a tortoise at the moment, im doing my research before getting it. could you show me some specific bulbs for uvb that i could use? the heat i have it covered. also what size do you recommend me for an enclosure to last until i can get the tortoise (sulcata) out by itself?