Tito the tortoise needs your help

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Tito needs a closed chamber to keep him warm

A CHE is a Ceramic Heat Emitter. It gives off heat, but not light. It is used with a thermostat so that the area being heated doesn't get too hot.

You need to get some sort of cover of Tito's home. Some people use mini greenhouse tents like this

Reactions: Tom

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi guys, tito has been to the vets;

Believes to have respiratory problems, he is booked in for an x-ray tomorrow :(

I have been told the room temperature at night time is too low for tito and I need to try and up the temp. I live in a very large house, high ceilings, very old built house, I was wondering about the use of a heat mat at night in titos hide? Is this a good or bad idea? Just to keep the temperate at a happy medium??

I have been told tito will be on constant meds because where I bought him he has not had a great up bringing from the pet shop & my little man will be battling things all his life.

Any suggestions to improve the care and life of tito? I am so upset I do everything I can & he is spoiled rotten it's just a shame I got him from a pet shop that has obviously not had much knowledge in reptiles.

Help would be much appreciated thanks
Hi Naidene, I have only been tort-keeping for not-quite-2yrs and still myself-learning, but from what I have seen and read on this forum, heat from the bottom is not recommended, and that torts warm up through their carapace. There was a case of a very badly deformed plastron with severe burns in tortoise who was living in doghouse where the only source of heat was a heat mat. How about adding one or more ceramic heat emitting bulbs over his pen and maybe covering the whole thing with some sort of insulating seethrough like plexi glass or such this way you wouldn't be losing so much heat into the thin air all the time, plus you could keep his pen more humid. But please DO NOT worry about the humidity until you figure out how to keep him warm. With the sick tort it is imperative that he stays warm: 29-30C day and night until he gets well. And very warm welcome from Texas, USA

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
If anyone hasn't mentioned it those button type thermometer/hygrometers are worthless. Very inaccurate from day to day. I use these... Inexpensive and accurate as heck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 12

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
What is a CHE set on a thermostat? What do you mean by this? Thanks x
CHE (ceramic heat emitter)...a heat source that is not a bulb; but screws into light socket like one(they also come in different wattage like bulbs; the higher the number the greater the heat output.)......a thermostat is tool to measure/control heat; and when you have your heat source(a CHE) running on one; it will turn on to keep temps at what ever you set them at on thermostat.

Reactions: Tom

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
There is a che ceramic heater emitter and also there's is thermostat that is the one I use as I find it a good one and reliable if you live in the uk there is a website called Northampton reptile centre which seek the thermostat which are reconditioned and are only £29.99 but come with a 5 year warranty hop this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0919.PNG
    IMG_0919.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0920.PNG
    IMG_0920.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 8

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is a che ceramic heater emitter and also there's is thermostat that is the one I use as I find it a good one and reliable if you live in the uk there is a website called Northampton reptile centre which seek the thermostat which are reconditioned and are only £29.99 but come with a 5 year warranty hop this helps
I have bought through Northampton Reptile Centre. They're good for online purchases

Naidene23

Hi Naidene, I have only been tort-keeping for not-quite-2yrs and still myself-learning, but from what I have seen and read on this forum, heat from the bottom is not recommended, and that torts warm up through their carapace. There was a case of a very badly deformed plastron with severe burns in tortoise who was living in doghouse where the only source of heat was a heat mat. How about adding one or more ceramic heat emitting bulbs over his pen and maybe covering the whole thing with some sort of insulating seethrough like plexi glass or such this way you wouldn't be losing so much heat into the thin air all the time, plus you could keep his pen more humid. But please DO NOT worry about the humidity until you figure out how to keep him warm. With the sick tort it is imperative that he stays warm: 29-30C day and night until he gets well. And very warm welcome from Texas, USA

Hi thanks for your reply :) the heat in his cage during the day is perfect, it's just at night when the temperature can drop to 15c or even colder, so was thinking of purchasing a heat mat to place in his hide at the far end away from where he actually sleeps (as he only sleeps in the same corner) and having it raised out of reach, setting the temp to a correct temperature and using a thermostat to turn off when temperature is reached? I found an online tortoise website which suggests using the heat mat with tortoises with respiratory problems and whom are on antibiotics to help control the temperature?

You have mentioned a heat light but I thought lights must be all switched off at night? That's why I didn't consider another light to be placed in the cage as temps are fine during the day it is just at night time they drop a lot.

Please get back to me as quick as you can, really appreciate the advice and help x

Naidene23

Can a CHE be left on overnight??

One part of titos tortoise table is like a closed in bedding area with a lid to open and shut so i wouldn't be able to place that bulb anywhere near the area where he sleeps? & I'm guessing it doesn't emit any heat from it?

Naidene23

One part of titos tortoise table is like a closed in bedding area with a lid to open and shut so i wouldn't be able to place that bulb anywhere near the area where he sleeps? & I'm guessing it doesn't emit any heat from it?
I meant any light from it haha..

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Yea I place my thermostat probe inside my torts hide box set the temp on the stat and then the Che is on until the hide box reaches the temp the thermostat is set to my Che bulb is placed near the entrance to hide box I always use the stat iv sent u because it keeps the bulb on a low watt even wen the temp is reached so then wen the temp drop again it turns the heat power to Che back upto full so u Neva lose heat with it like a on off thermostat I can't help u with aheat Mat as iv Neva used one the Che is just a heat bulb no light

Naidene23

Yea I place my thermostat probe inside my torts hide box set the temp on the stat and then the Che is on until the hide box reaches the temp the thermostat is set to my Che bulb is placed near the entrance to hide box I always use the stat iv sent u because it keeps the bulb on a low watt even wen the temp is reached so then wen the temp drop again it turns the heat power to Che back upto full so u Neva lose heat with it like a on off thermostat I can't help u with aheat Mat as iv Neva used one the Che is just a heat bulb no light

Unfortunately I had never heard of this before until you have told me so I have already purchased a heat mat a very small one & a thermostat which monitors the temperate and turns off when temperature is reached then on again when temperature drops. If I manage to keep the heat mat away from tito and out of reach then surely it will be doing the same job as the bulb would? Giving out heat just like the CHE would?

Laura1412

5 Year Member
I'm not sure iv neva used a heat mat however I was under the impression that the Mat needs to have Pressure applied to it in order for it to give out heat but I'm not sure as I dont use them sorry but if that is the case I would nt place the Mat under moist substrate or a Russian tort that digs down into substrate hopefully a member who noes about mats will be able to give more advise

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

A CHE can be left on 24/7. If you use it with a thermostat it only comes on when temperatures drop.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Unfortunately I had never heard of this before until you have told me so I have already purchased a heat mat a very small one & a thermostat which monitors the temperate and turns off when temperature is reached then on again when temperature drops. If I manage to keep the heat mat away from tito and out of reach then surely it will be doing the same job as the bulb would? Giving out heat just like the CHE would?
Tortoises are evolved to take heat from above, not from below. Heat mats are not suitable for tortoises.

Naidene23

I wasn't planning on placing the heat mat on the ground, I was planning on having the heat mat either on the very top side of the hide or on the roof of the hide with a sheet of glass covering the mat, thus having the hide reach a temperature suitable & then turning off when temperature is reached. I will also be speaking with my reptile vet tomorrow.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi thanks for your reply :) the heat in his cage during the day is perfect, it's just at night when the temperature can drop to 15c or even colder, so was thinking of purchasing a heat mat to place in his hide at the far end away from where he actually sleeps (as he only sleeps in the same corner) and having it raised out of reach, setting the temp to a correct temperature and using a thermostat to turn off when temperature is reached? I found an online tortoise website which suggests using the heat mat with tortoises with respiratory problems and whom are on antibiotics to help control the temperature?

You have mentioned a heat light but I thought lights must be all switched off at night? That's why I didn't consider another light to be placed in the cage as temps are fine during the day it is just at night time they drop a lot.

Please get back to me as quick as you can, really appreciate the advice and help x
CHE is not a heat light, it just fits into the light fixture, but generates no light at all. Just the heat and you can have it in 24/7 hooked up to thermostat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Read the whole thread and I like to number my toughest to keep them straight in my head. A little OCD here...

1. I don't think a heat mat will be effective from above.
2. You don't want a heat mat on the side or bottom where your tortoise can contact it.
3. What if your tortoise leaves his night box area after dark? The whole enclosure needs to be warmer.
4. Your day time heat lamp gives off about 20% light and 80 percent heat. A CHE gives off 100% heat and no light. These heating elements screw into a normal ceramic heat lamp fixture just like a light bulb, so they are convenient and easy to use. The use of a thermostat with it will hold the ambient temperature where you set it. If you set your thermostat at 22C, for example, the thermostat will kick the CHE on if the temperature drops below that number. Once the CHE warms things up a bit and the temperature climbs back up to 22, the thermostat will turn the CHE off. The thermostat will do this day and night and always keep your minimum temperature where you want it. Then, during the day, your heat lamp will kick on and give him a simulated "sun" to bask under.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Read the whole thread and I like to number my toughest to keep them straight in my head. A little OCD here...

1. I don't think a heat mat will be effective from above.
2. You don't want a heat mat on the side or bottom where your tortoise can contact it.
3. What if your tortoise leaves his night box area after dark? The whole enclosure needs to be warmer.
4. Your day time heat lamp gives off about 20% light and 80 percent heat. A CHE gives off 100% heat and no light. These heating elements screw into a normal ceramic heat lamp fixture just like a light bulb, so they are convenient and easy to use. The use of a thermostat with it will hold the ambient temperature where you set it. If you set your thermostat at 22C, for example, the thermostat will kick the CHE on if the temperature drops below that number. Once the CHE warms things up a bit and the temperature climbs back up to 22, the thermostat will turn the CHE off. The thermostat will do this day and night and always keep your minimum temperature where you want it. Then, during the day, your heat lamp will kick on and give him a simulated "sun" to bask under.

I read the whole thread and I like to number my THOUGHTS… Sheesh. I hate spell check sometimes...