Tips for a beginner

C

Cutetothepie

Hi everyone,

I've always wanted a tortoise and I am finally going to get one. I need help deciding what species to focus my research on. here's my list of desired traits:

suited for indoor care (doesn't grow large)
does not need to hibernate
is attractive and keeps most of its attractive appearance with age
is relatively 'outgoing' (not shy or timid)
is available for a low price
can be 'shipped' or are breed in Australia

please give me your best recommendations of species that i should research. I've been keeping reef aquariums for years so i am very familiar with keeping delicate animals, but of course I plan to do a ton of reading before I get a tortoise. There's just so many species available I really need a starting point for my reading.

also, while you're here, could anyone tell me if some of the tortoise selling websites are quality businesses? Living in Australia means that there are not too many breeders.

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi everyone,

I've always wanted a tortoise and I am finally going to get one. I need help deciding what species to focus my research on. here's my list of desired traits:

suited for indoor care (doesn't grow large)
does not need to hibernate
is attractive and keeps most of its attractive appearance with age
is relatively 'outgoing' (not shy or timid)
is available for a low price

please give me your best recommendations of species that i should research. I've been keeping reef aquariums for years so i am very familiar with keeping delicate animals, but of course I plan to do a ton of reading before I get a tortoise. There's just so many species available I really need a starting point for my reading.

also, while you're here, could anyone tell me if some of the tortoise selling websites are quality businesses? Living in Australia means that there are not too many breeders.

Thanks!
Hi and welcome

Shipping to Australia is not possible. Your country's import regulations regarding non native species make that impossible (or impossibly expensive which is the same thing)

You will need to find someone in your country that sells tortoises.

Even the smallest tortoises need a lot of space. The Testudo (Russians, Greeks, Hermann's) are among the smaller species and are good 'beginner' species, but like the bigger ones they roam huge distances in the wild and need a minimum of 1.5x2.2metres (4'x8') in captivity. A vivarium is only suited to babies for the first couple of years.

They are loners. They don't want, need or like company- so don't plan on getting more than one unless you have room for separate enclosures.

I would make your starting point to read this

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Then you need to see if you can find anyone who breeds/sells tortoises and look up the care sheet for that species on TFO.

This is the Russian care sheet for example
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Another reply to make sure I answer all your points
Hi everyone,

I need help deciding what species to focus my research on. here's my list of desired traits:

1. suited for indoor care (doesn't grow large)
2. does not need to hibernate
3. is attractive and keeps most of its attractive appearance with age
4. is relatively 'outgoing' (not shy or timid)
5. is available for a low price
1. Addressed by recommending Testudo (see earlier post). However, all species benefit from outdoor space as they get older

2. You don't have to hibernate any species. Some cannot (eg Redfoots, Pancakes). Testudo can hibernate, but temperatures must be constantly below 10C for them to do so. Get the lighting and heating right and they won't.

3. This really worries me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Redfoots are colourful, but more exacting in the their care requirements with regard to humidity and temperature. If you care for the tort properly it will be in good condition but bigger than when you bought it.

4. Tortoises are not social creatures. With time, patience and gentle handling they'll learn to trust you. Some learn quicker than others. It's not species specific. This is a pet that needs to be kept in an enclosure at the correct temperature and humidity and not roaming the house or constantly being lifted to be cuddled on your lap.

5. We have a very small number of people on TFO from Australia because tortoises are so hard to come by in this country. You are going to have to do your own research into availability over there.

Don't forget that tortoises:
- live for well over 50 years (we've had ours 46 and expect him to live double that)
- are not portable due to lighting and heating requirements
- you need to have plans in place for vacation care. You can't take a tortoise with you and you can't put it in kennels like a cat or dog
- the equipment needed to set up the enclosure properly doesn't come cheap. Getting it right will cost you as much, at least, as buying the tortoise.

Whereabouts in Australia are you and what's the climate like. It's a big and varied country!