Timothy Pellets

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Finally all the sulcatas except Sylvia are eating the dry timothy pellets. Getting Walker to eat it took the longest, but this week he started eating it by itself dry not mixed with any other food items. All of them but Sylvia are drinking out of the water bowls,which is important here because it wont be long before the pool water will be to cold for them to get into to get a drink. It's funny how some sulcatas take to new foods easily and some are hard headed and slow to change, but will usually take to the new stuff in their on time. Everyone is also eating the leaves that are falling from the maple trees.This winters main foods here at the beach will be the clipped lawn re-hydrated, both types of mazuri, timothy pellets and a bunch of dry maple leaves. They will get treats from friends.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Are maple leaves safe for tortoises when they turn red. I can't seem to find a definite answer online.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Are maple leaves safe for tortoises when they turn red. I can't seem to find a definite answer online.
Hey Michaela, You probably wont find a definite answer about fallen maple leaves being eaten by sulcata tortoises. I am not suggesting that anyone else should let their tortoise eat maple leaves, but with the growth rates I am getting with the varied diet I offer my sulcatas I see no reason to rake the fallen leaves so they can't have access to them. Walker is 19 years old and has been eating leaves from these trees the past 9 years, Sylvia for 3 years and the other 3, Alex, Enoch, and Toad since they were babies. Remember there was a time in the past that the old world tortoises didn't have access to cactus, but opuntia now is considered a staple for almost all tortoises, old and new world.

Prairie Mom

I'm not familiar with the Timothy pellets. Are you using these in the place of Mazuri?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep a couple of big rubber bowls full of timothy/alfalfa pellets in my Aldabran tortoise yard. They're not real fond of it, but will eat it if there's nothing else available. Timothy is mowed and dried grass that is then machined and extruded as pellets.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good info Len. Definitely a type of maple, for sure not an oak. The leaves appear to be five lobed, like sugar maple.

From wiki ...The sugar maple tree (Acer saccharum) grows abundantly in the northeastern part of North America. Sugar maples produce strong, versatile timber and yield maple syrup - both commodities contribute considerably to the economy of the region. The economic significance of the sugar maple is evidenced by its designation as New York's state tree, and by its central placement on the Canadian flag. Use the following guidelines for how to identify sugar maple trees.

Heres a sugar maple leaf and seedling.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Len B

10 Year Member!
I went out and picked a leaf and it's a match to the wiki pic, I forgot about the seeds being together but that's them. Thanks...

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
What about when the leaves turn colors in the fall. The tortoise table says they're toxic, but they were talking about the red maple (acer rubrum).

Prairie Mom

What about when the leaves turn colors in the fall. The tortoise table says they're toxic, but they were talking about the red maple (acer rubrum).
Hi Michaela, I'm only throwing out a few guesses here, so please research on your own and come to your own conclusions.

I'm guessing (COMPLETELY GUESSING!) that Len either has a "Field Maple" or a "Sycamore Maple." The only major caution with these from the Tortoise Table is the possibility of high sugar content in the leaves. But I STILL think it is debatable how much of the sugary sap is actually being fed to Len's tortoises for a few reasons...For one--not all Maple trees are sweet. Some have bitter sap. Let's pretend that Len's variety is sweet, I STILL think it's debatable how much sugar his tortoises are consuming because his tortoises are eating mainly the fallen dried leaves at the end of the season. I suspect they're a decent dried tasty treat without the super high sugar content that is being warned about.

About leaves changing color... Leaves change color mainly because the amount of sunlight has lessoned (decreasing photosynthesis) and the leaves loose chlorophyll and the green disappears from the leaves causing other pigments to show through.

As for the warning on the bottom of the Acer's page on the tortoise table. They are asking you not to confuse it with the "Red Maple" which is said to have caused dangerous toxicity in mammals. Do notice that the tortoise table is readily admitting that they have not tested this on reptiles. They say: " We do not know of the effects of the toxin on reptiles, but in the absence of evidence we would advise you to keep all parts of this tree away from your tortoise. Do not confuse with other *Acers*, which are not toxic." ( http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=4) -I wouldn't jump at the chance to feed my tortoise a red maple, but the reality is that red maples may even be harmless to tortoises. The more I learn about reptile/tortoise diets, the more I am amazed at how different they are from mammals'. A poison for one may be a nutritious treat for the other.

Len, has kind of become my "Obiwan" in regards to winter tortoise diets. I feel confident that the experience he shares is valuable:) I hope my thoughts helped you in some way.