Timothy hay?

amanda0883

Tortoises can eat timothy hay? I still have a ton left over from my guinea pig but I didnt know if it was safe for my russian.

Also, the grassland tortoise food does that need to be changed daily or just when it needs to be replenished like cat food?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hay is not really a russian food. They are not likely to just eat it plain and dry. If you blend it up really fine in a food processor, you can sprinkle a little on other greens to add some fiber.

Same thing with the grassland food. Most tortoises won't just eat it plain and dry. I soak a few pellets and mix it all up with greens to get them to eat it.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't know if it's good or bad but to get my russian to eat his grassland food, after I soak the pellets so they can be digestible, I cut a very small tomato in half and just get some of the juice onto the grassland pellets which definitely gets him to eat it. He won't eat it if I just mix it up with greens, he'll ignore it and won't eat the greens if even the pellet is on it at all, BUT only if a little fresh tomato juice was squeezed on it. If anyone can give me a better healthier option for him to eat the grassland then please let me know! Arnold is my first tortoise and only had him a few weeks so this is all very new to me!

amanda0883

Oh ok...thats a good idea...thank you! I hope he starts eating soon...he hasnt eaten or drank much but I just got him like 4 days ago so I am hoping it is normal

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are creatures of habit. They often don't take to new foods right away, especially if the new foods are "good" for them. You need to introduce new stuff very gradually and in small amounts. I would take his whole pile of food for the day, and just mix in one small half pellet of the soaked grassland food. Do this everyday until he starts to eat it all. Some tortoises will skip eating a day or two. So be it. Its their choice. In time they will start to accept it and recognize the new food as food. Give it time. Tortoises live for many decades. They aren't in a hurry to do anything. Over time gradually add more of the new food until you reach the ratio you are looking for. I have found that over time, if I use this process for several new foods, it shortens the time needed to get them used to additional new foods that I introduce later. My tortoises know what hunger is, and as a result they will eat just about anything I put in front of them.

amanda0883

Oh ok. I think he eats a little of the greens I give him but thats it. I am just really scared something bad will happen lol. I still blame myself for our guinea pig passing away even though she was properly taken care of so I am overly cautious for Frankie. I attached to him pretty quickly (even though he is supposed to be mainly for my 3 year old) so I would absolutely hate for anything to happen. Thank you for your help!

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I will definitely try that with the grassland food but without the squeezed tomato juice on top! I need to kick his stubborn picky habit! If he gets hungry enough I'm sure he will just eat it without making a fuss! :)