Tidgy the Tortoise

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
photos to follow
So just a quick introduction
My wife and I rescued Tidgy from a family who had been treating her and her sister abominably. The kids would pull and twist her limbs and use her as a toy car to smash into objects. Her owners just kicked the tortoises out of their way as they moved around the house, the tortoises were getting no sunlight and were being fed on tomato, lamb, cake and biscuits.someone had cut out one of Tidgy's upper scutes, possibly to use as jewellry and she had a yellowish recess in her carapace that was soft and smelly. I don' believe in keeping animals as pets, particularly exotics like tortoises, but we jumped at the chance to tae her when offered, and just as well as a week later her sister was dead. my wife called her Tidgy in error, thinking that tgg (Testudo graeca graeca) was tiggy meaning small and unaware it's spelled tidgy. She was about 5cm long
She was nervous, and clearly in a lot of pain and was reluctant to eat for a long time, but she gradually recovered and we fell in love with the brave and happy girl straight away. Her carapace healed beautifully and though it doesnt match the other scutes , it's now fine.
we love her very much and she is extraordinarily curious, happy and lovable. We've had her now for 3 years, 3 months and it's been a delight for all of us. She's now 14cm long, plastron length and is beautiful, confident and toilet trained.
unfortunately, in the last few days, she's started limping, her right forelimb doesn't seem able to support her weight ans she is reluctant to walk on her toes, preferring to drag herself about, or not walk at all. she is still eating well and mostly happy. i think and hope it is just a pull or strain and she will soon recover as it is severely depressing me that my happy girl isn't doing her usual game of follow daddy around the terrace or climb every mountain and is in some pain when trying to walk. she is getting lots of calcium in her diet, plus cuttlefish and Friskies Optimal, so I remain hopeful of a full recovery, though any advice would be welcome.
Thanks people and I'm so glad to see so many people who clearly love their tortoises.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Welcome! That is so sad. I don't like to see when kids are not taught to respect life but it sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I am glad you saved the poor little guy. Could you post a picture so others can help you with proper set up etc. If having trouble walking between being kicked around, poor diet, and no proper light it could be a few things either way sounds like a Veterinarian is needed.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't know how to post pics, new to all this tech stuff. We live in Morocco, so she's a Moroccan spur thighed tortoise, Testudo graeca graeca.
tortoises are sold as toys here and have a very short life expectancy. just saved this beuautiful girl

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
vets in Morocco? You are joking, they neither know nor care about tortoises. there is an American vets in the area, but they mainly care for donkeys and horses, reluctant to look at cats and dogs and tortoises? they would probably just laugh.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Don't know how to post pics, new to all this tech stuff. We live in Morocco, so she's a Moroccan spur thighed tortoise, Testudo graeca graeca.
tortoises are sold as toys here and have a very short life expectancy. just saved this beuautiful girl

When you post right next to the green post reply button there is an upload a file button. Click on that and you can upload a picture from your computer. I hope that helps.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
vets in Morocco? You are joking, they neither know nor care about tortoises. there is an American vets in the area, but they mainly care for donkeys and horses, reluctant to look at cats and dogs and tortoises? they would probably just laugh.

I see... well maybe someone here can help you out. Pictures of enclosure & tortoise often helps the experts with advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's an awful story. What on earth are those parents teaching their children when they allow them to treat a living thing in such a manner. I'm so glad you were able to at least get the one away from them.

I don't know what that Friskies product is that you referred to, but if it's animal protein type food, for dogs or cats, that might be what's wrong with your tortoise. I'm not a vet or a scientist, but I'm vaguely remembering something about too much animal protein given to a vegetarian tortoise causing maybe gout? or something like that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that subject will correct me or add their thoughts. Maybe @Ferretinmyshoes or @deadheadvet or maybe a vet tech - @Altah or @maybe or @kires mom

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome! That is so sad. I don't like to see when kids are not taught to respect life but it sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I am glad you saved the poor little guy. Could you post a picture so others can help you with proper set up etc. If having trouble walking between being kicked around, poor diet, and no proper light it could be a few things either way sounds like a Veterinarian is needed.
Kids here in Fes medina, Morocco are pretty much taught that all life is here to do what you like with. Animal cruelty is a popular hobby.Will try to post pics. She hasn't been kicked in over 3 years, so it's not that. Her diet is natural Moroccan greens, some tomato and lettuce when other foods are short and roses and prickly pear when they're in season. She doesn't get so much sun in the winter, when it's cold and raining and the last two months have been the coldest in years. can't get a qualified vet here.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When you post right next to the green post reply button there is an upload a file button. Click on that and you can upload a picture from your computer. I hope that helps.
Thanks, I'll have a go in a minute, though I'm rubbish at this sort of thing.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I see... well maybe someone here can help you out. Pictures of enclosure & tortoise often helps the experts with advice.
Thanks, she doesn't have an enclosure as such, just an area of the apartment that is hers, her own bed and secure places to hide and keep warm, but otherwise she is free to wander where she will. there are no other animals or children or dangers on the floor and the terrace where she walks and gets her sunshine is secure and large and either my wife and I are always in attendance.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you're feeding her any sort of protein I would stop that immediately. She is a Greek tortoise they don't eat protein. Stick with the leafy greens and weeds.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's an awful story. What on earth are those parents teaching their children when they allow them to treat a living thing in such a manner. I'm so glad you were able to at least get the one away from them.

I don't know what that Friskies product is that you referred to, but if it's animal protein type food, for dogs or cats, that might be what's wrong with your tortoise. I'm not a vet or a scientist, but I'm vaguely remembering something about too much animal protein given to a vegetarian tortoise causing maybe gout? or something like that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that subject will correct me or add their thoughts. Maybe @Ferretinmyshoes or @deadheadvet or maybe a vet tech - @Altah or @maybe or @kires mom
I don't give her meat or animal protein of any kind! this product is sold in Italy, france and portugal, though I bought mine in Spain and it is for herbivorous reptiles including tortoises. it is rich in calcium and phosphorous with cereal,veggies and grass oils. recommended by Spanish pet shop that had many tortoises. will contact someone you recommended. Thank you very much for your kind concern

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I don't give her meat or animal protein of any kind! this product is sold in Italy, france and portugal, though I bought mine in Spain and it is for herbivorous reptiles including tortoises. it is rich in calcium and phosphorous with cereal,veggies and grass oils. recommended by Spanish pet shop that had many tortoises. will contact someone you recommended. Thank you very much for your kind concern

In America Friskies is a cat food name brand not a tortoise food so that is the confusion.