Three Toed turtle

Jaycee Charter

Good morning. I read a message from A lady who had rescued a three toed turtle being dumped at a lake and she wanted to rehome him.

I wrote to her and said I was interested and she brought the turtle over. He was described as a very shy turtle Who liked red berries and worms.
She brought a few containers of worms with him and he arrived in a plastic tub where she said he had been for two months at her home.

We immediately went out and bought a nice terrarium for him. While his original name was Brutus, we changed it to Vance.

Vance likes his meal worms, occasional blueberries, and corn kernels but no greens or the nutritionist mixture available from the pet store.

I have tried cantaloupe, strawberries, mushrooms, dandelion greens, Romaine or butter lettuce, kale, shredded carrots, to no avail.
Basically, Vance goes under the leaves that I have put in there and will stay there until I pick him up in the morning and put him in water. After a while, he out stretches his neck and walks over to his food and eats what do you want some. He then retreats back to the leaves where he will stay indefinitely until I take him out.

I take him out to walk around either in the house or supervised in a garden.

Is this normal behavior for a three toed turtle? While I've had sliders and box turtles, I have never had a turtle that is so reclusive but he is just as she described him.

He enjoys having his neck and head patted so I hold him in my lap and do that.
If anyone has any information on their experience, I would appreciate it as I worry about him.
Thank you, Jaycee

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jaycee, and welcome to the Forum!

First of all, we'd all like to see pictures of your new turtle just so we can be sure we're giving you the correct information for the species you have. You'd be surprised how often people are wrong about the species.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Please read the "beginners' thread" which will be a lot of help to those who haven't dealt with torts before. And good luck.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Is this normal behavior for a three toed turtle? While I've had sliders and box turtles, I have never had a turtle that is so reclusive but he is just as she described him.

This wording makes me so curious to see a photo because it sounds as if you are saying he is not a box turtle? But the three toed box turtle is the only turtle I know that goes by the name "three toed".