This poor little Sulcata need some serious help

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A friend of mine received a less then 3 inch baby sulcate that been attached by some rat at night little over a month ago. The little sully lost his jaw. The pervious owner healed the wound and hand fed the torts but not able to continue. My friend also use tube to feed him. The sully still very weak, not able to eat by himself. He also soak him daily.

What else we can do to bring health back to this little one? Any suggestion are welcome and appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know if you can get Critical Care in China (I'm assuming you're still in china???), but maybe you can look on Amazon. Critical Care - I believe its manufactured by Oxbow Industries. Its a powder compiled of lots of different dried greens that herbivores would eat. You mix it with water to make it as thin (runny) as you need it to be to go through the tube-feeding equipment. All you can do is tube feed and wait until the new beak starts to grow back in. However, if the underlying tissue has been too damaged, the beak may never grow back. You can also add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins to the tube feeding liquid.

Because a tortoise's metabolism is so slow, I wouldn't feed the tortoise but maybe every other day. You will put too much liquid into his stomach. You have to wait a day or even two days, for the stomach to empty before you add more.

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Poor little guy. I saw the first pic and thought, "What's the problem here?" That must have been a mean rat.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I don't know if you can get Critical Care in China (I'm assuming you're still in china???), but maybe you can look on Amazon. Critical Care - I believe its manufactured by Oxbow Industries. Its a powder compiled of lots of different dried greens that herbivores would eat. You mix it with water to make it as thin (runny) as you need it to be to go through the tube-feeding equipment. All you can do is tube feed and wait until the new beak starts to grow back in. However, if the underlying tissue has been too damaged, the beak may never grow back. You can also add a few drops of liquid bird vitamins to the tube feeding liquid.

Because a tortoise's metabolism is so slow, I wouldn't feed the tortoise but maybe every other day. You will put too much liquid into his stomach. You have to wait a day or even two days, for the stomach to empty before you add more.

Thank you Yvonne. Yes. I still in China.

I checked Amazon China but only can find lots book titled in Critical care for small animal and other topic. Noting in the format of power for herbivores. But your explanation of dried greens give me some idea that we may able to produce such power our own.

Let me translate your message to my friend and continue to update.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! ! ! ! !