thinking about giving away my tort :(

nicole r

Location (City and/or State)
las vegas, nevada
im currently thinking about giving away my tortoise, i love him very much but i just dont have everything to provide him with :( also, im not posting this on here to give him away on here, ill put him on craigslist to see if anyone will come pick him up as i dont want to mail him anywhere since ive never done that before. anyways, my parents do not want to buy him a uvb lamp and i only have a heat lamp for him. ive had him since around the end of may and since its always warm here ive been taking him outside for an hour around 2 times a week, usually 3 or even 4. my parents told me theyd get him a uvb but now theyre saying no and my dad doesnt want to keep a heat lamp on for a long time because itll waste a lot of energy/money. id rather give him away to someone who will be able to take better care of him than i can :( i love him a ton and i dont want him to die but i know this is the best for him. this could possibly be my last post on here since i will no longer have a tortoise. to anyone who has answered my previous posts and helped me with anything i just want to say thank you, tortoise forum has helped me a lot ! :) i know im a lot younger than all of you on here (i dont even have a job yet, thats how young i am) but maybe in the future once im older i can hopefully get a tortoise again and be able to take good care of him/her!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There may be an established and VERY good keeper right here on this forum that is close by!
Wouldn't you rather he go to a great new home and not become some plaything for a five year old that is kept in a small fish tank...Just saying.
I wish you and your little friend the best!
Also, this place is for tortoise enthusiasts. Not just tortoise owners. So maybe stick around anyway?

awesomecs

5 Year Member
im currently thinking about giving away my tortoise, i love him very much but i just dont have everything to provide him with :( also, im not posting this on here to give him away on here, ill put him on craigslist to see if anyone will come pick him up as i dont want to mail him anywhere since ive never done that before. anyways, my parents do not want to buy him a uvb lamp and i only have a heat lamp for him. ive had him since around the end of may and since its always warm here ive been taking him outside for an hour around 2 times a week, usually 3 or even 4. my parents told me theyd get him a uvb but now theyre saying no and my dad doesnt want to keep a heat lamp on for a long time because itll waste a lot of energy/money. id rather give him away to someone who will be able to take better care of him than i can :( i love him a ton and i dont want him to die but i know this is the best for him. this could possibly be my last post on here since i will no longer have a tortoise. to anyone who has answered my previous posts and helped me with anything i just want to say thank you, tortoise forum has helped me a lot ! :) i know im a lot younger than all of you on here (i dont even have a job yet, thats how young i am) but maybe in the future once im older i can hopefully get a tortoise again and be able to take good care of him/her!

DONT LEAVE THE FOURMS I know its devastating but you must stay on the forums dude you could plan for the future and see all the post about different tortoises that you might want in the near future dude so stay on the forums dude plus you might want to talk to the person you sold your tortoise too

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So sorry to hear that you're planning to give away your tort - too bad. But if you think that would be best for him then go ahead.

As was mentioned here, please do not leave the forum.

Kindly keep us updated and good luck to you and your tort.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry to hear it Nichole , but stick around anyway . Owning a tortoise isnt necessary to belong here ! :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find it sad that a child has more sensibility about properly caring for an animal than the parents do. I am glad that you realize your parents are not setting a good example for you in this particular area.

Thanks for doing what is best for your tortoise. Craigslist might not be the best place to find him a good home.

And you don't have to leave because you don't have a tortoise anymore.

Here is an idea: Your tortoise doesn't need a UV bulb in your climate as long as you get him outside for a couple hours a week, like you already are. They can go with out UV for several weeks at a time in winter too, so it won't be a problem when things get cold. Indoors you can use a lower wattage 65 watt flood bulb on a timer for 12 hours a day for a basking area. Simply raise or lower the height of the bulb to get the right temps.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I find it sad that a child has more sensibility about properly caring for an animal than the parents do. I am glad that you realize your parents are not setting a good example for you in this particular area.

Thanks for doing what is best for your tortoise. Craigslist might not be the best place to find him a good home.

Here is an idea: Your tortoise doesn't need a UV bulb in your climate as long as you get him outside for a couple hours a week, like you already are. They can go with out UV for several weeks at a time in winter too, so it won't be a problem when things get cold. Indoors you can use a lower wattage 65 watt flood bulb on a timer for 12 hours a day for a basking area. Simply raise or lower the height of the bulb to get the right temps.

they have a heat lamp there tort should be fine as long as it hibernates you can have a lamp and check if your lamp is uvb and heat

Alaskamike

South Florida
I don't know how old you are , but your writing is very clear so I know you are not a very young child.

When I had gerbils, rabbits, a raccoon, fish, turtles , even my dog - It was required in my household that children pay for as well as care for their pets.

I raked my neighbors yard for a few dollars, mowed some lawns and shoveled snow. We had a sweet neighbor lady that let me weed her garden once a week.

When an animal needed a pen I built it out of what I could find , trade, or buy with what I had.

Resourcefulness is sometimes required. Even in the very young. But it builds character.

Good fortune to you and your tortoise, whatever your decision.

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
DONT LEAVE THE FOURMS I know its devastating but you must stay on the forums dude you could plan for the future and see all the post about different tortoises that you might want in the near future dude so stay on the forums dude plus you might want to talk to the person you sold your tortoise too
okay good idea!! ill probably just stay on but i wont post much :)

nicole r

las vegas, nevada

okay!! ill try to take him out as much as i can! :) hopefully ill be able to keep him well during the winter as i do have a 65 watt bulb for him :) and if i do give him away, where should i put him on if craigslist isnt a good place?

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
I don't know how old you are , but your writing is very clear so I know you are not a very young child.

When I had gerbils, rabbits, a raccoon, fish, turtles , even my dog - It was required in my household that children pay for as well as care for their pets.

I raked my neighbors yard for a few dollars, mowed some lawns and shoveled snow. We had a sweet neighbor lady that let me weed her garden once a week.

When an animal needed a pen I built it out of what I could find , trade, or buy with what I had.

Resourcefulness is sometimes required. Even in the very young. But it builds character.

i cant do most of those as it never snows here,i could mow the lawn but i usually wont have time, im in school so i dont usually have time and once i come back i have tons of homework to finish so i never get time anyways :( thank you though! :)

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
There may be an established and VERY good keeper right here on this forum that is close by!
Wouldn't you rather he go to a great new home and not become some plaything for a five year old that is kept in a small fish tank...Just saying.
I wish you and your little friend the best!
Also, this place is for tortoise enthusiasts. Not just tortoise owners. So maybe stick around anyway?
if i think about giving him away i do think its a better idea to post it on here, as ive been told! and yeah ill definitely stick around now that others have told me to, and i like seeing all the tortoise posts anyways :)

TMartin510

Fremont, California

That's very nice to hear about places that have neighborly neighbors like that. But in some places that is just not the case and would be hard to do something like that to make enough to support the tort. Like California, I've lived here my whole life and pretty much everyone in my area is more to them self. I have neighbors that I've lived next to for years and years and have not had more then a few words exchanged. Ussually just to complain about tree growth and what not.
Again all depends on the area if that would work or not, like Alabama everyone is so friendly there.

How many pens have you built? That sounds really cool! I'm working on one now haha.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
okay!! ill try to take him out as much as i can! :) hopefully ill be able to keep him well during the winter as i do have a 65 watt bulb for him :) and if i do give him away, where should i put him on if craigslist isnt a good place?
You should post here on the adoptions section and look for a well know member or someone you feel would be a good choice in your area.
Here would be your best choice in my opinion and the best way to find a great home! And you could even see how the tort is doing in the future. I really hope you get to keep him, I understand how much you care for your tort, and giving him away would be the hardest thing, but tons of respect for knowing what you have to do to give your tort the best life possible! I'm sure you'll be able to find tons of advice on here that would help you care for your tort in the meen time until you can get a uvb. I Wish I could help!

I would suggest maybe making him a little play pen outside so he can run around while you do hw and you can be nearby to watch. I would advise being nearby incase of birds though, unless you don't have any nasty birds there. I have scrub Jays which are horrible :(

Have a great day!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's very nice to hear about places that have neighborly neighbors like that. But in some places that is just not the case and would be hard to do something like that to make enough to support the tort. Like California, ...

I grew up in CA too, and I did exactly what Mike described. It had nothing to do with neighborly neighbors. It had everything to do with me taking the initiative, figuring out a way and MAKING it happen. Failure was not an option. When one house said no, I went to another, and another, and another… I never quit until I achieved my goal.

What Mike was trying to promote was a can-do attitude and a strong desire for success. Sadly this seems to be sorely lacking in America's youth today.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
okay good idea!! ill probably just stay on but i wont post much :)

=] oh and about your tortoise if you really have that felling you can give him away or get a job and buy a heat lamp in the mean time just take him outside as long as it is summertime he will be ok if you earn money until summers over then buy the lamp you can still do dis man come on at least give it a try=]

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I grew up in CA too, and I did exactly what Mike described. It had nothing to do with neighborly neighbors. It had everything to do with me taking the initiative, figuring out a way and MAKING it happen. Failure was not an option. When one house said no, I went to another, and another, and another… I never quit until I achieved my goal.

What Mike was trying to promote was a can-do attitude and a strong desire for success. Sadly this seems to be sorely lacking in America's youth today.
True. However my part of CA Fremont, is very loner type and to themselves. They would rather pay a professional in my neighborhood then a neighbor. Or everyone would say no, but definatley worth a try if you need some cash!

When I was 16 here in CA it is so over crowded that for the life of me I could not find a job until I was 18 and I tried and tried and tried. Until I took advantage of the UPS auto hire helper method, worked hard and got into the building and have been there for years now.

But you are right, if you have the initiative you can make things happen for you.

But I totally understand the hw and school thing, they overload you with hw after being there for 7 hrs you have to do 3-5 more hrs worth of hw. It's harder to get a job until senior year at least, but still doable. If you can find one that'll hire someone under 18 here. I have found that a lot of people hire people they know or someone that someome they know knows. There's not as much walk in and hired on the spot type stuff anymore as there probably use to be. But if you set your mind to it, good things could happen.
Best of luck to you and your tort!

awesomecs

5 Year Member
True. However my part of CA Fremont, is very loner type and to themselves. They would rather pay a professional in my neighborhood then a neighbor. Or everyone would say no, but definatley worth a try if you need some cash!

When I was 16 here in CA it is so over crowded that for the life of me I could not find a job until I was 18 and I tried and tried and tried. Until I took advantage of the UPS auto hire helper method, worked hard and got into the building and have been there for years now.

But you are right, if you have the initiative you can make things happen for you.

But I totally understand the hw and school thing, they overload you with hw after being there for 7 hrs you have to do 3-5 more hrs worth of hw. It's harder to get a job until senior year at least, but still doable. If you can find one that'll hire someone under 18 here. I have found that a lot of people hire people they know or someone that someome they know knows. There's not as much walk in and hired on the spot type stuff anymore as there probably use to be. But if you set your mind to it, good things could happen.
Best of luck to you and your tort!

I know nothing about ca but you could sell candy buy the candy in bulk like buy 30 bars for 15 dollars then sell them for a dollar each you could get money in no time

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Also ima be on my way out of cali, to much impatience for me and no respect to other people. I had a challenger until I recently sold it, and I saw some one fling there door into my car for no reason even though they've had plenty of room. They had no respect for my car, and I work hard for my stuff. Just because some people don't want to apply them selves to get nice things doesn't meen they need to ruin other people's stuff. So I definatley agree with the do it attitude to earn what you want.

I'm thinking oregon maybe