thinking about getting a Russian tortoise

Flynn donahue

thanks also i want to get one on a budget like around $315 including the 130 dollar tortoise and maybe a list of the things i will need besides a hide and bedding when i first posted this i screwed up the title i just want one and i meant baby tomatoes will a 20 gallon -long tank work?

Last edited:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
thanks also i want to get one on a budget like around $315 including the 130 dollar tortoise and maybe a list of the things i will need besides a hide and bedding when i first posted this i screwed up the title i just want one and i meant baby tomatoes will a 20 gallon -long tank work?
no a 20 gallon take will not work, its to small for even hatchling baby tortoises. an adult russian will need a cage at least 4ft by 8ft.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Where do you live? Do you live in a place where the tortoise can be outside A majority of the year? This will affect what type of indoor enclosure you need, lights etc.

Flynn donahue

Where do you live? Do you live in a place where the tortoise can be outside A majority of the year? This will affect what type of indoor enclosure you need, lights etc.
Iowa it will be pretty warm until the beginning of september

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Iowa it will be pretty warm until the beginning of september
That means your tortoise can be outside for a good part of the year, four or five months maybe. But you still need a large indoor enclosure. You can use a large bookshelf laid on its back with the shelves taken out and lined with a shower curtain to make it waterproof. Or a large plastic kiddie pool, or a horse trough, or a couple large 54 gallon totes hooked together. All these things work. If you don't have a lot of floorspace you could make a double-decker enclosure.

Flynn donahue

is is possible for you to make your own enclosure? 40 gallon is too small.
yeah i just dont have the space but my friend has 2 Russians in a 40 so shouldn't this work with 1 Russian and i have a HUGE both back and front yard with a fence in the back that they can run around in every day under close supervision but i live in an area with coyotes so i want an indoor enclosure I also have a Huge house that he could run in my mom wants it in my room

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome!
No. 40gallon is too small for the smallest tortoises, let alone one or two adults.
Just because russians are small, doesn't mean they need room. Russians love to wander, and they need a lot of space!
I know you don't want a pair, but russians do not do well in pairs, especially in small enclosures!
You can build a predator-proof enclosure for cheaper, or you could take him inside at night, but outside in the warm months IS ideal. Allowing your tortoise to wander around the house is not advised.
Please read these, they'll help you (and even your friend) out :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/one-way-to-keep-your-baby-alive.105783/
Is there anyway you can have an at least 4x5 indoor space for a tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
the biggest i can afford is a 40 gallon 36 by 18 inch

Then you can't afford what a tortoise needs. Animals need what they need. They don't know about or care about our financial problems or our problems of limited space.

I'd like to have a herd of elephants. They are awesome animals. But I can't afford the 6" pipe corral, the labor to build the enclosure and heated barn, and my back yard simply isn't large enough to house them. So... I don't get them.

When you have the space, time and money to give proper care to a tortoise, then go get a tortoise. If you don't have the time, space or money to do it right, then please don't do it all, until you do.

For the money it costs to buy a 40 gallon tank, you could build a 4x8 enclosure from plywood and 2x4's.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you depend on close supervision outdoors for your tortoise's exercise & sunlight, one of two things will happen. He'll eventually disappear, or he won't get much time outdoors. It's not possible to devote enough time & attention all through the nice weather year after year.

You can bring him in at night, or make a predator proof night box if you can't predator proof the whole pen.

If you don't have full parental support, it will be very difficult.

18" is too narrow for a water dish & a tortoise. Your friend is not a good model with the 40 gallon tank, just hasn't noticed problems yet. 40 is really too small for one, much less two. A stock tank is cheaper & bigger if you can't build your own.

Don't feed tomatoes or any fruit.

If your yard or the neighbors use herbicides or pesticides, then your outdoor environment isn't safe.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You have to find other options if you want a tortoise. No one on this forum is ok with ok enclosures. Tortoises are tough, and are forced to survive a lot of situations unfortunately. The goal should be to provide them with an environment where they can thrive. Do some more research and check out the enclosure section for some options. Good luck.

Flynn donahue

Welcome!
No. 40gallon is too small for the smallest tortoises, let alone one or two adults.
Just because russians are small, doesn't mean they need room. Russians love to wander, and they need a lot of space!
I know you don't want a pair, but russians do not do well in pairs, especially in small enclosures!
You can build a predator-proof enclosure for cheaper, or you could take him inside at night, but outside in the warm months IS ideal. Allowing your tortoise to wander around the house is not advised.
Please read these, they'll help you (and even your friend) out :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/one-way-to-keep-your-baby-alive.105783/
Is there anyway you can have an at least 4x5 indoor space for a tort?
i want one