Thick white substance on tree stick

cortezknight

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502510966.962509.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502510987.971378.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502511011.876015.jpg

This slimy white stuff keeps appearing on the stick in my turtle tank, can anyone help me identify it and is it harmful to my turtle or fish?

rolley

I think that the stick is going to rot..change the stick with the stick of some other plant that can stay long underwater...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks like some sort of mold/algae. I agree with rolley's assessment - get rid of that stick and replace it with something else.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I've had this problem in the past- white film encased one of the mopani driftwood branches I purchased for my water turtle. If this is the same thing, it is caused by bacteria, it is harmless, and if left alone will go away in time. You can try boiling it or drying it out again, but this is very common with new wood introduced into a tank.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I've had this problem in the past- white film encased one of the mopani driftwood branches I purchased for my water turtle. If this is the same thing, it is caused by bacteria, it is harmless, and if left alone will go away in time. You can try boiling it or drying it out again, but this is very common with new wood introduced into a tank.

Completely right. I get the same aquatic 'snot' on all of my driftwood--except cypress. I have buttonwood, seagrape and some other, unidentified wood I collected on the beach and all of them develop this stuff. For whatever reason though, my cypress pieces don't get it.
To get rid of it I simply take the wood out the tank and give it a good scrubbing with a stiff plastic bristle brush.