They're female right?

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi Everyone!

My two Sullies Hercules and Hazel that I got as hatchlings in August 2011 have gotten BIG and I think they are big enough to determine gender. I just measured them tonight and weighed them a month ago. I'm guessing they're both female but i'm not very good at telling. What do you think? Are my torts healthy for 3 years old, size and weight wise?

Here's Hazel:
He/She's roughly 12" in carapace length and 10 pounds,
Hazel1.jpg

Here's Hercules:
He/She's roughly 15" in carapace length and 15 pounds,
Hercules.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would say you're right . But at this time it can change . Man the mud puddles that makes their man parts come out . Then you will know for sure.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Hazel looks female. And Hercules male. But I can't tell if Hercules has the 'dip' in the plaster on or not from the photo.

Someone else will be here to give their opinion.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The do look like one of each. However Hazel looks to still have a long tail. At 3 things can still possibly change, but I would bet on one of each.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hazel looks female. And Hercules male. But I can't tell if Hercules has the 'dip' in the plaster on or not from the photo.

Someone else will be here to give their opinion.

Hercules does have a slight dip and Hazel does not but both have really short tails.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't tell from the pics and I can't get the pics to enlarge. You need to get close ups of the tails and anal scutes. No need to flip them on their backs like that. It works much better if you have someone hold the tortoise with the carapace against their chest and the head pointed skyward. This also allows you to get in there with the camera and get a tighter shot of the tail.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
More pictures will be needed to conclude but I suspect both females. By that size I think you would have seen some mounting if one was a young male. My male sulcata was mounting at 10inches and fertilizing at 12 which is super small to be fertile.