They are awake! Spring has Sprung and they aren't listening to Phil

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
One of my Desert Torts climbed out of his burrow yesterday and sunned, soaked and ate. The other came out today, sunned, soaked and ate as well. Both look fabulous. So much for my plans of getting things growing for them before they wake up. We'll see how it goes, but it sure looks like they are really awake for the season. I'll have to block off sections in each of their enclosures to seed and let grow, hopefully move the let it grow barriers around so there's always something for them to graze on.

High Temps in the 80's for the past five days and the forecast looks the same for the next 10 days at least. We're bound to have a few cooler days, but I'm not seeing it in the forecast and their behavior isn't showing me any reason to doubt they may be right (and Phil was WRONG).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I think my Mo (CDT) also waking up. I can see some movement in his hibernation container. Let's see tomorrow! ! ! ! !

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Heather, I will happily give you my warm weather, but you have to take my achy back too! Amended the soil with organic top soil and planted some seed in 3 enclosures. Plus Hubby decided today was the day to buy tile, grout, etc for our front porch and walk. Need a break here. Son is coming into town all this while cleaning out my garage for the past 10 days, I am flippin tired! Really glad the torts didn't get in the way too much while I was re-working their enclosures. The boxies however, were a laugh to work around. All my shelled creatures seem to be good today. A little Advil tonight and hopefully, tomorrow will be a good day for me too.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Heather, I will happily give you my warm weather, but you have to take my achy back too! Amended the soil with organic top soil and planted some seed in 3 enclosures. Plus Hubby decided today was the day to buy tile, grout, etc for our front porch and walk. Need a break here. Son is coming into town all this while cleaning out my garage for the past 10 days, I am flippin tired! Really glad the torts didn't get in the way too much while I was re-working their enclosures. The boxies however, were a laugh to work around. All my shelled creatures seem to be good today. A little Advil tonight and hopefully, tomorrow will be a good day for me too.
I would rather do that than slip and slide just to let the dog out. It rained now is freezing over :( . I do great massages

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jealous here in chicago, teens for temps for a few days and threat of freezing rain and/or snow. Most likely will miss us in the city though. I sure hope your torts are right and Phil is wrong, we need spring and boy, over on the east coast, they really need a break. Glad torts are up, doing fine and looking great.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I really feel for all my cold snow country friends. This is nutty weather, even for us here in the desert. Historical snow fall (it does not, did not ever snow like this, not just a teaser silly, but over 3 hours of flakes, real flakes) here on New Years Eve. I went absolutely full tilt silly, those of you who get snow would get a huge laugh. The whole town went nuts. And now here we are in the middle of 80's, wearing shorts, t-shirts and needing a/c on in our vehicles. It's no wonder my torts are out and sunning themselves. Hopefully, the seeds I planted today in their enclosures will take off and grow big.

Warm weather wishes sent to all of you in cold and snow country.DSC_0314.JPG

phebe121

I really feel for all my cold snow country friends. This is nutty weather, even for us here in the desert. Historical snow fall (it does not, did not ever snow like this, not just a teaser silly, but over 3 hours of flakes, real flakes) here on New Years Eve. I went absolutely full tilt silly, those of you who get snow would get a huge laugh. The whole town went nuts. And now here we are in the middle of 80's, wearing shorts, t-shirts and needing a/c on in our vehicles. It's no wonder my torts are out and sunning themselves. Hopefully, the seeds I planted today in their enclosures will take off and grow big.

Warm weather wishes sent to all of you in cold and snow country.View attachment 118182

This pic is so beautiful

phebe121

Well this morning we have a white out going on and its coming down harder

Attachments

• CAM01308.jpg
    CAM01308.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • CAM01307.jpg
    CAM01307.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...this has been a very mild winter. I only turned the heater on in the greenhouse at night about 5 times this whole winter; it usually gets turned on every single winter night.

My Russians woke up last week, so I'll be putting them out today. And yesterday I opened the doors to the Desert and Texas tortoises' houses to allow them to come out when they're ready.

I see a terribly bad flea infestation in our future!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, but the cats and dogs sure can. And with a mild winter, the flea population didn't get killed off.

phebe121

Ahh ok well yesterday it was -20 here im sure there dead lol my cats are indoor only and mybf wants to get chickens to fatten up and eat this summer i dont want to but whatever

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah...this has been a very mild winter. I only turned the heater on in the greenhouse at night about 5 times this whole winter; it usually gets turned on every single winter night.

My Russians woke up last week, so I'll be putting them out today. And yesterday I opened the doors to the Desert and Texas tortoises' houses to allow them to come out when they're ready.

I see a terribly bad flea infestation in our future!

It is strange Yvonne....I use to live "down the hill" in the Los Angeles basin and fleas were terrible for the animals and the people that lived with the animals...here in the High Desert the dogs don't have flea problems...when I moved up here years ago I was told that fleas are not a problem here and that statement seems to be true....likely because of the excessive dry heat?? Things do drop dead from the heat alot more here though....:eek: