Texas Tortoise Reintroduction Program

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Disclaimer before reading. DO NOT RELEASE this species into the wild. This project is in partnership with federal and Texas authorities with a very very strict approval policy of release. Releasing your animal can cause serious harm to the native populations.

To sum this project up in a short verse(full project is about 100 pages of text) were currently seeking a grant, which hopefully goes through. If not I will still continue the project none the less. It includes utilizing confiscated, turned over, or relinquished animals from private individuals, TXPW, and Local law enforcement. While captive animals are not suitable for release, why shouldn't the offspring if bred be suitable?

Yes indeed. This program takes a second chance animal and utilizes a re-introduction program for offspring (very very very very detailed screening process from blood samples, genetic samples, oral, cloacal swabs numerous times) back into the wild. We will only consider doing soft releases in parks that are managed and controlled for a time period of 6-8 years. These animals will be GPS tracked, pit tagged and registered into its own species studbook.

The project also entails wild research of population of gopherus berlandieri and pit tagging, genetic analysis, and gps tracker placement to study those specimens as well. Entire project will cost around $46,000 over a span of 2 years including field biologist time, equipment, construction of breeding facility, medical screenings, pit tags, gps translocation devices and software etc.

Anyways. At some point I will have the entire project uploaded once we hear back from the grant coordinator. This may take a most of this fiscal year.

Here's the site. Nothing will be disturbed except perimeter for fencing install, and sub dividing enclosures, adding a water source and that's it. Keeping it wild as possible. Each enclosure will be 80'x100' per 1.2.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The current pair we have that locale law enforcement turned over to us.
Out of the burrow during the day in winter time, a very difficult species to maintain outside of its native range. They don't really hibernate but will hibernate for hours or just a few days if that makes sense.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And AGAIN!
Disclaimer. DO NOT RELEASE this species into the wild. This project is in partnership with federal and Texas authorities with a very very strict approval policy of release. Releasing your animal can cause serious harm to the native populations.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is the site on your property and the pair with you?
Good luck. Too bad the process takes so long

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Anyways. At some point I will have the entire project uploaded once we hear back from the grant coordinator. This may take a most of this fiscal year.

Bearing this in mind, do you have an ETA for starting?

Also, is your non-profit info the same now that you've moved?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I tip my hat to you for your determination and for your love to all Chelonian that we all loves.

Best wishes to a great success of your program.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
That's fantastic! How can interested individuals help support the program?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I know his organization are non-profited Org. All donations are tax deductible. A win-win situations. :D:D:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Bearing this in mind, do you have an ETA for starting?

Also, is your non-profit info the same now that you've moved?
Yes indeed. Project will start regardless in mid febuary on fencing. If funded fully the monies won't be available until the fall.

It actually needs to be changed. I tried to change it and couldn't do it.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
We will be posting each project onto our website and add donation buttons. We have a general donation button. But I'd like to make sponsors and supporters more inclined to get info if they choose on a specific project.