Texas heat and indoor habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilleriffic

5 Year Member
We are in the process of preparing for the arrival of a Russian tortoise, perhaps in early June.

I'm building the habitat right now, but the question I have right now pertains to heating. We live in Texas, our tortoise will be housed in the west facing mud room.

The mud/play room does not have AC, but is just a windowed, enclosed room (no insulation) so it'll fluctuate temp due to weather.

Because it faces the setting sun, naturally, it'll get very hot.

What is "too hot" for a Russian tortoise? I figure as long as I provide water for it to bask in, he/she will be fine. I also assume I do not need to worry about a heat lamp during the summer months.

My goal is to take him/her outside to graze and get vitamin d!

In the fall/winter, I will use a heat/uv lamp.

Does this sound about right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as you have to "build" an indoor habitat, why don't you just change your way of thinking and build an outdoor one instead. Russian tortoises do much better outside.

...and Welcome to the Forum!!

Hilleriffic

5 Year Member
The first year, we'd like it to be an indoor tortoise, mostly so we can view it and "Interact" as much as possible. Technically, it's my daughters birthday gift, but I understand that I'll be the primary care taker. Eventually, we would house it outside, but I'd rather research a longer period of time to establish a good set up.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I wish I could help you!! Hopefully someone will answer your question soon!! I will give you a bump! :) :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Your Russian generally needs temps ranging with the enclosure during the day time from 75 to 100 degrees. Figure on 100 under the basking light. Your cool side temps should be around 70 to 75 degrees. By having this range of temperatures you allow your Russian to self regulate their internal temperatures.

I think you need to cool the air in that room to 75 degrees and make sure you have a shallow but wide water dish that your tort can enter to relieve over heating.

Good luck.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sounds like it will get way to hot, outdoors they can escape the sun and go to shade, but sounds like a green house effect going on and the air will be to hot. Do you have thermometers? Can you to us how hot it is in there through out the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.