Temps on a outdoor enclosure

TayefA08

Location (City and/or State)
UK, Wales,
So i was just wondering when i do keep my tortoise out side say at the early stages of summer when its about 25 ish degrees celcius would i need a basking lamp out side

yillt

So i was just wondering when i do keep my tortoise out side say at the early stages of summer when its about 25 ish degrees celcius would i need a basking lamp out side
He won't need a basking lamp. But I would suggest a cold frame or something similar that retains the heat for him to go in. Will he be indoors at night?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I will put mine out on a sunny day with temps above 19°-20°. The ground temp in full sun is very different that air temperatures. Also keratin (the stuff their scutes are made of) is extremely efficient at absorbing IR. The will heat quickly above air temperature if basking in the sun.

The issue, as yillt suggests is watching if they hide and do not bask, or cloudy days, and night. I don't know the size of your, but a smaller tortoise will have less thermal mass to hold heat and can quickly cool in a cold, shady corner. On days on the cooler side, watch for that. Also a Russian, horsefieldii, is much more comfortable in cooler temperature gradients than a sulcata or leopard.

I use a heat gun to "shoot" their shell temperatures on questionable days to check and see how they are doing. An inexpensive and invaluable tool. As long as you see the shell temperature in the range you are comfortable with, your tortoise is fine outside.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
He won't need a basking lamp. But I would suggest a cold frame or something similar that retains the heat for him to go in. Will he be indoors at night?
He will most likley be indoors at night and I will be sure to give him a cool area where he can go when too hot

I will put mine out on a sunny day with temps above 19°-20°. The ground temp in full sun is very different that air temperatures. Also keratin (the stuff their scutes are made of) is extremely efficient at absorbing IR. The will heat quickly above air temperature if basking in the sun.

The issue, as yillt suggests is watching if they hide and do not bask, or cloudy days, and night. I don't know the size of your, but a smaller tortoise will have less thermal mass to hold heat and can quickly cool in a cold, shady corner. On days on the cooler side, watch for that. Also a Russian, horsefieldii, is much more comfortable in cooler temperature gradients than a sulcata or leopard.

I use a heat gun to "shoot" their shell temperatures on questionable days to check and see how they are doing. An inexpensive and invaluable tool. As long as you see the shell temperature in the range you are comfortable with, your tortoise is fine outside.
My tort is 10 months old and I'll be sure to get a heat gun to do as you say

Thank you all

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
It is plenty warm enough outside day and night in the UK at the moment. Too hot in full sun in the middle of the day!

Exactly when and for how long depends on the age/size of your tort.

A big old boy like my Greek will be out 24/7 with no extra heat needed until the autumn.

Have you read this about keeping torts outside in the UK?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
My tort is fairlly small as I said earlier he is about 10 months old and pretty small so would that mean I should keep him out less or more?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My tort is fairlly small as I said earlier he is about 10 months old and pretty small so would that mean I should keep him out less or more?
At that age temperature and humidity stability are far more important than outside time.

The weather is due to break today so it will get cooler. Personally I would keep a baby like that indoors until next year at least

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
At that age temperature and humidity stability are far more important than outside time.

The weather is due to break today so it will get cooler. Personally I would keep a baby like that indoors until next year at least
I'll be sure to do just that

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'll be sure to do just that
Take care to monitor your indoor temperatures in the warm weather. My house hit 29C indoors yesterday so an indoor tortoise enclosure with the lamps on could get far too hot!

Make sure you give your baby plenty of soaks and take the lid off a closed chamber if necessary