Temporary home Russian

Buddytheboxie

hey guys, if you all remember my friend is babysitting a Russian tortoise that Is in horrible condition. He is a class pet and the teacher is doing a terrible job. I am super tempted to take him because any environment is better than what he is in. However I am limited in room. I was thinking of using my box turtle's old tank and a temp tank until I can either find a good home for the Russian or until I can get a new one. I know the tank is very small. It is a 30 gallon long tank. This little Russian is going to need vet visits and such so this will be his medical tank. I would need to get him a better light and dirt and such because he is in sand.
So my question is, is the 30 gallon long to small as a temp (like 4 months in this) tank? At least until I find room in my room to put him in something bigger.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's pretty small for a full grown Russian, but I'm guessing it's probably about what he's used to living in. Living with you in a small enclosure would be better than how he is living now.

Buddytheboxie

That's pretty small for a full grown Russian, but I'm guessing it's probably about what he's used to living in. Living with you in a small enclosure would be better than how he is living now.

This is his current setup. I feel bad and I want to do a bigger tank but anything is better than a hamster cage that he is in.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 44

Soco71

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County NY
Don't put it in a tank, aquariums are not good for Russians, an old book shelf with the shelve taken out or even an end table with the drawers removed, putting a Russian in a tank can cause respiratory problems they need good ventilation. They need walls where they can't see out. I'm suprised he/she hasn't gotten stuck in that cage yet trying to get out. Not as well versed and experienced as alot of these members lol but have had my russian for 11 years now if you have any questions.