Temporary Enclosure

Leapin

I am creating a temporary enclosure for my 3 toed until his larger enclosure is built. I will attach a picture - I know it's too small for long term, but I want Arlington to stay happy and healthy while he is "visiting". ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496455806.237725.jpg
I am going to replace the door and front pane with plexiglass, and remove the shelves I'd like to add a second level, maybe for basking, and for a bit of extra room. My main question is lighting and heat - right now his enclosure has a .05 uvb tube and a CHE. Since this is a smaller enclosure would it make sense to just use a uvb heat/basking light - MVB or something else? I'll need to get a thermostat b/c I'm guessing it will be difficult to regulate the heat. Also, I was thinking I should drill some vent holes in the sides, or just prop the lid for a little circulation? Also, suggestions for moisture proofing the inside- pond liner coving the bottom and up a few inches around the sides?
All suggestions welcome....annnnddddd GO!
Here's Arlington ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496456548.666806.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I don't like using mvb for box turtles. Besides, mvb are more appropriate for larger cages not smaller. I use long tube uvb and black reptile heat lamps for heat. I cover my enclosures in plastic and only need to use a 50 watt for heat. I don't really worry about ventilation. Going in and out of the enclosure provides plenty. What are the dimensions of this?

Leapin

Thank you for your reply! The cabinet is roughly 2 X 2.5 - not ideal, but it is temporary.

Leapin

I don't like using mvb for box turtles. Besides, mvb are more appropriate for larger cages not smaller. I use long tube uvb and black reptile heat lamps for heat. I cover my enclosures in plastic and only need to use a 50 watt for heat. I don't really worry about ventilation. Going in and out of the enclosure provides plenty. What are the dimensions of this?
Do you use anything for basking, or does your turtle just hang out under the heat lamp? How big is your enclosure?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Do you use anything for basking, or does your turtle just hang out under the heat lamp? How big is your enclosure?
The heat lamp is used for basking. I use 55 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks and they have a footprint of about 2 feet by 4 feet, which is the absolute minimum for one box turtle.