swollen tail after big stuck poop

assem

I bought an Egyptian tortoise two weeks ago,
It refused to eat and it slept a lot, after checking I found I huge poop stuck,
Yesterday, I socked it in warm water until it started to push out the poop, I helped her and removed the poop with a wooden niddle , I didn’t touch the tail or the tissue by anyway , my tortoise started to eat normally again
Today I found a lot of ants around its tail and I realized that the tail is swollen, I removed it away from the ants and cleaned it again with water
Please advise what I should do for the swollen tail,
I leave in Egypt and I don’t think there are any vets for reptiles

I believe I bought tortoise in a bad condition I will keep it but I am afraid it’s going to day I don’t know what I should do

first attachment before removing the poop
befor.jpg

after removing the poop with 24H
after.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The tissue is very irritated. It may take some time for the swelling to go down. I suggest you soak the tortoise in warm water daily for at least a half hour. It really looks like the tortoise doesn't even have a tail.

Take some mineral oil in a dropper (you may call it liquid petroleum) and squirt it up inside the cloaca. There may be more hard poop stuck inside there. Also, for a week or two, feed the tortoise very wet foods to help soften whatever is in the G.I. tract...things like aloe vera, cucumber, cactus, etc.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Poor baby! Get her on good diet program. If she was so backed up chances are her lower bowel is still full of poo that needs to come out. Yvonne gave you great advice. Keep us posted

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How is your tort today? Sincerely hope to hear things are better. :) Please keep up updated.:tort:

And welcome to the forum. :D

assem

The tissue is very irritated. It may take some time for the swelling to go down. I suggest you soak the tortoise in warm water daily for at least a half hour. It really looks like the tortoise doesn't even have a tail.

Take some mineral oil in a dropper (you may call it liquid petroleum) and squirt it up inside the cloaca. There may be more hard poop stuck inside there. Also, for a week or two, feed the tortoise very wet foods to help soften whatever is in the G.I. tract...things like aloe vera, cucumber, cactus, etc.

ok, I am going to soak it in warm water, shall i soak it every day or 3 day at week?
I think there is no need for the mineral oil as it poop normally and the shape of the poop is acceptable
for the diet it contains cucumber and lettuce I am going to add cactus and aloe vera

thanks alot Yvonne G :)

Poor baby! Get her on good diet program. If she was so backed up chances are her lower bowel is still full of poo that needs to come out. Yvonne gave you great advice. Keep us posted

indeed :D

How is your tort today? Sincerely hope to hear things are better. :) Please keep up updated.:tort:

And welcome to the forum. :D

soon after few day I will post the updates

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
ok, I am going to soak it in warm water, shall i soak it every day or 3 day at week?
I think there is no need for the mineral oil as it poop normally and the shape of the poop is acceptable
for the diet it contains cucumber and lettuce I am going to add cactus and aloe vera

thanks alot Yvonne G :)

indeed :D

soon after few day I will post the updates
Waiting for pics and hope your tort is better.

Giving your tort daily soaks? If not please do; especially if you live in a country where the climate is a dry one.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
I bought an Egyptian tortoise two weeks ago,
It refused to eat and it slept a lot, after checking I found I huge poop stuck,
Yesterday, I socked it in warm water until it started to push out the poop, I helped her and removed the poop with a wooden niddle , I didn’t touch the tail or the tissue by anyway , my tortoise started to eat normally again
Today I found a lot of ants around its tail and I realized that the tail is swollen, I removed it away from the ants and cleaned it again with water
Please advise what I should do for the swollen tail,
I leave in Egypt and I don’t think there are any vets for reptiles

I believe I bought tortoise in a bad condition I will keep it but I am afraid it’s going to day I don’t know what I should do

first attachment before removing the poop
View attachment 180622

after removing the poop with 24H
View attachment 180623
Important to disinfect the area, tail.