Switch light set up thoughts

ej132

Location (City and/or State)
MI
Hello,
Had a question for you all regarding my setup for my Russian tortoise Pumpkin. Currently using a 100w Powersun, which gives UVA/UVB and heat. Finding that the location in my home is staying room temperature wise between 78-90 degrees so under the lamp its getting warmer than that. Have adjusted by slowly moving the times the light is on to the night to not over heat, and also moved bulb further up. But think of switching to a different setup:
Currently use a 29 gallon tank, eventually plan to build a table as I keep hearing tanks are bad.

but thinking of getting a 30 inch tube light that would emit my uva and uvb. then using just a heat bulb or CHE for my heat source and putting the tube light on for about 12 hour a day and the CHE/heat light on a thermostat with a timer for 12-16 hours a day.

Any tips comments or thoughts of if this will work better are appreciated.
-EJ & Pumpkin

ej132

MI
I keep looking at tube lights but most only say UVB on them not UVA. Is UVA just see-able light? Dont want to go away from my powersun as it does the heat/UVA/UVB but trying to find something more better for her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise needs and indoor "sun" to warm up under. You need either a regular incandescent or a MVB for this. CHE's set on thermostats are good for maintaining ambient, but they aren't good for basking since there is no light. The florescent tube is good for overall light and UV, but no heat. My preferred combo for a russian is a long tube mounted at the correct height, and a regular incandescent 65 watt flood also mounted at the correct height for the basking temperature under it.

If you want to continue using your MVB, just raise it up until the basking temp under it is correct.

I wouldn't worry about UVA. If you have a basking lamp and a UV tube, you'll be good to go.

The things you read about glass tanks being bad are a persistent internet myth. Appropriately sized glass tank are fine and me and several others here have been using them for decades with no issues. As Big Charlie's mom pointed out, the problem can come when too small of a glass tank is used. This has nothing to do with the glass and everything to do with the size of the rooming area. A 29 gallon is fine for a few months if you have a brand new baby hatchling. Anything larger than that will need a lot more floor space. Russians need at least 4x8' of floor space once they are past the baby stage.

Here is another thread with tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

ej132

MI
So basking requires the heat and light from the same source? Thats why Ive liked my powersun but just trying to find something a bit better.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I keep looking at tube lights but most only say UVB on them not UVA. Is UVA just see-able light? Dont want to go away from my powersun as it does the heat/UVA/UVB but trying to find something more better for her
All the fluorescent tubes that are sold as "UVB" tubes also produce UVA. It is the amount of UVB that people shop for, so that is the primary feature they list.

Any good reptile UVB light will produce about 55%-60% of its energy as visible light. The rest is UV, which is not visible to us.

A 10.0 tube is 10% UVB, 30% UVA and 60% visible light.
A 5.0 tube is 5% UVB, 35% UVA and 60% visible light.
etc...

ej132

MI
All the fluorescent tubes that are sold as "UVB" tubes also produce UVA. It is the amount of UVB that people shop for, so that is the primary feature they list.

Any good reptile UVB light will produce about 55%-60% of its energy as visible light. The rest is UV, which is not visible to us.

A 10.0 tube is 10% UVB, 30% UVA and 60% visible light.
A 5.0 tube is 5% UVB, 35% UVA and 60% visible light.
etc...

Ok got it, good to know. So ideally Ill do a tube, and a che and an heat bulb? Thought I could get away with the CHE as heat and tube for UVB but sounds like my basking spot shouldnt come from a CHE it should have visible light from it as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok got it, good to know. So ideally Ill do a tube, and a che and an heat bulb? Thought I could get away with the CHE as heat and tube for UVB but sounds like my basking spot shouldnt come from a CHE it should have visible light from it as well?

You shouldn't need a CHE with a russian. Just a heat lamp for basking and a tube for light and UV.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/