Swampy Substrate to Raise Humidity for Leopard Tortoise

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I have a 5 month old leopard tortoise and have been trying to find ways to keep the humidity levels between 80-90. I have just finished building a new closed chamber enclosure for her and it holds in the humidity extremely well, but only if i make the substrate (topsoil with sphagnum moss on top) kinda swampy. Like if you dug a little hole you would get water. Is this bad for my tort. Is there any other way to hold in the humidity that I should be doing. And how long should I have the humidity levels this high, until she's done growing?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Can you post pictures of your enclosure? I don't keep mine nearly that wet and maintain80% humidity in my enclosure. That is too wet.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I dont have any pictures right now that I can post, but how do you keep your's humid. My enclosure is basically a very large tortoise table with a plexiglass cover and latch. There is a heat lamp and MVB lamp at either end.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a feeling your humidty gauge is not working correctly. Also, be sure to keep the temps no lower then 80. It should not have to be swampy for the humidty to get to 80%. Get a digital temp and humidity gauge, not expensive and work much more accurate.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I have a feeling your humidty gauge is not working correctly. Also, be sure to keep the temps no lower then 80. It should not have to be swampy for the humidty to get to 80%. Get a digital temp and humidity gauge, not expensive and work much more accurate.
My temps are always above 84 degrees and I use an accurite thermostat and humidity gauge. I heard that was the best kind. I'm gonna play around with the moisture and water a bit and see what happens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would leave it as long as temps and humdiity are correct and just let it dry out a little letting it get closer to 80% humidity. The wetness should not hurt the tort. But you could always put a hide in there with a bottom if you wanted to give him a dryer spot.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I would leave it as long as temps and humdiity are correct and just let it dry out a little letting it get closer to 80% humidity. The wetness should not hurt the tort. But you could always put a hide in there with a bottom if you wanted to give him a dryer spot.

I'll let it dry up a bit and keep on checking those levels. I'm just glad to know the extra wetness won't hurt her. Thanks for all the advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have my substrate quite wet, and like you say...if you dig down you reach water.

Zeko

5 Year Member
I run humidifiers 24/7. It gets very swampy in a hurry.

What I do is set up a few plastic cups upside down under their dishes. This allows me to pull the cups out and shop vac the standing water every couple days.

Keeps the swampyness down, and the humidity up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, that's good to know. Have you noticed any problems with it being that wet?

No, but I'm very careful to be sure it's always at least 80F or hotter. I try to never allow it too cool down in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My substrate in my enclosures is dry-ish on top, but only damp underneath. You should not need it swampy.

The new Accurite thermometer/hygrometers are terrible and none of my new ones are even close on the humidity. I don't have an alternative. My old ones still work fine.

If humidity truly is too low in there, then you have a leak somewhere. Plug the leak to hold in your warmth and humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The difference between Tom's and my enclosures is that I don't have "closed chambers." I've been too lazy to build a closed chamber, so mine are merely covered with foil. And the foil isn't air tight, so I have to have wetter substrate than Tom does. Both ways work, but I'm sure the closed chamber, once set up, is easier than my way. It's a nuisance to have to uncover the foil to deal with the animal.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I have a 5 month old leopard tortoise and have been trying to find ways to keep the humidity levels between 80-90. I have just finished building a new closed chamber enclosure for her and it holds in the humidity extremely well, but only if i make the substrate (topsoil with sphagnum moss on top) kinda swampy. Like if you dug a little hole you would get water. Is this bad for my tort. Is there any other way to hold in the humidity that I should be doing. And how long should I have the humidity levels this high, until she's done growing?

I find layering it (topsoil with moss on TOP as you stated above) creates more of a muddy swamp vs. mixing it all together. You might want to try that as well.