survey- how old is your tort now/ how old when you got it? post pictures!

Mortis_thetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
west central Florida
i see pictures and postings all the time of very small babies and huge older ones. where are all the medium sized torts?
i know babies die due to improper care "often" by things that could avoided....

how old was your tort when you got it? now?

how many people/percent get a hatching and raise it to adulthood?

is it more common for people to adopt 4-7+ year old torts?

whats the oldest sully on here that somone raised from hatchling?

anything else interesting feel free to share!

ill post new pictures of little canoli when i get home tonight! shes growing slowly but very healthy and doing well !

Mortis_thetortoise

west central Florida
This is my russian tortoise he is 3yrs old
i love them. i had a russian. my first tort. december 3 2016 i found him on the bottom of the garden pond after tirelessly looking for hours a day for him for weeks. he managed to get through bricks fence and other blockage. terrible day. shouldn't of happened and no one to blame but myself.
i have a baby sulcata now, canoli. about 4 months old. got her a month after i got tucker the russian. "her" hatch date im claiming is roughly september 16th. she is doing very well and healthy. im doing everything i can, spending every penny needed to ensure she has the best possible care. she is growing slower than anticipated but with the more knowledge i gain everyday she is catching up quickly!

tucker has a nice memorial spot in the garden with a turtle(tortoise) statue as a marker. RIP buddy.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
i love them. i had a russian. my first tort. december 3 2016 i found him on the bottom of the garden pond after tirelessly looking for hours a day for him for weeks. he managed to get through bricks fence and other blockage. terrible day. shouldn't of happened and no one to blame but myself.
i have a baby sulcata now, canoli. about 4 months old. got her a month after i got tucker the russian. "her" hatch date im claiming is roughly september 16th. she is doing very well and healthy. im doing everything i can, spending every penny needed to ensure she has the best possible care. she is growing slower than anticipated but with the more knowledge i gain everyday she is catching up quickly!

tucker has a nice memorial spot in the garden with a turtle(tortoise) statue as a marker. RIP buddy.
And Canoli shares my birthday

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
i see pictures and postings all the time of very small babies and huge older ones. where are all the medium sized torts?
i know babies die due to improper care "often" by things that could avoided....

how old was your tort when you got it? now?

how many people/percent get a hatching and raise it to adulthood?

is it more common for people to adopt 4-7+ year old torts?

whats the oldest sully on here that somone raised from hatchling?

anything else interesting feel free to share!

ill post new pictures of little canoli when i get home tonight! shes growing slowly but very healthy and doing well !

What IS the oldest Sully here raised from hatchling ? Can't wait to hear a response to that !
Our Sherman was adopted from a neighbor. They adopted him from a friend. No one can say how old he is for sure.

The rarely offered watermelon and guava shown here is something special given to him for "Picture Day". He mostly gets hay, then some mulberry leaves other greens and healthy stuff.

july2016-dec 174.JPG

Just realized more pictures of him need to be taken. He never complains about that :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My oldest tortoise (and also my first tortoise) is Mi-Shelle. She was full grown when we received her and I've had her since '84. So I figure she's appx. 60 or 70 years old.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I got my first tortoise in 1961. This is a picture of that happy day for me!

IMG_4673.JPG

I got my first leopard in 1983 from a guy named Ron Cauble. It was an imported pair he needed someone to rehab, and was too ill to sell. Unfortunately, they did not make it. Wish I had a picture, as they were a beautiful and quite large pair.

I got my first sulcate in 1991 the month it hatched from the San Diego zoo. Here is Diego last year. He is now right at 115 lbs and coming up on 26 yrs old.

Diego.jpg

Here is Crush with one of his offspring on his back. I hatched him out in 1998. He is coming up on 19 yrs and is currently 145 lbs.Crush and Baby.jpg

This is Crush again with one of my grandsons, Luke. Luke is legitimately a reptile expert now. Amazing what he knows about reptiles!

IMG_2116a.jpg

And, although not a tortoise, I though a turtle would still be of interest... Here is my female Suwanee Cooter basking last summer. I traded a Pacific Pond Turtle I hatched for her in 1984. I was visiting Harold Carty and he had just hatched her out. She is 32 years old.

IMG_2605.JPG

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Seller said Toro hatched around February 2016. Pics when I got Toro in 31 May 2016. 57gram.
IMG-20170121-WA0009.jpg IMG-20170121-WA0006.jpg IMG-20170121-WA0008.jpg

This is recent, December 2016 and January 2017 pics. 250-280gram.
IMG-20170121-WA0003.jpg IMG-20170121-WA0004.jpg IMG-20170121-WA0005.jpg IMG-20170121-WA0007.jpg

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I got my little Spud when he was 4 weeks old :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485026400.296400.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485026409.878431.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485026418.860468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485026426.434812.jpg

He is 2 years old in a couple of months :)
Here he is:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485026534.135565.jpg

Sorry I don't have any better comparison photos, I just cleared my phone so I lost my pictures!