Sure seems to be a lot of lost or found tortoises in the news lately

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It could be that some people would rather turn their tortoise loose than fix up a winter habitat for it...expense, needs large area, food, etc.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
It could be that some people would rather turn their tortoise loose than fix up a winter habitat for it...expense, needs large area, food, etc.
Yikes! Wow I sure hope that's not the case, but people do dump off dogs and cats all the time so it could be.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Or they get torts when they are little and cute and when they get to be 40 lbs they aren't little and cute they stop checking on them and the tort finds a weak stop a poof it's gone for a walk about .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Or perhaps the hosts just don't realize the strength these guys have....that mixed with tenacity can easily make for a break out....lol....it is fantastic though that the torts in these stories all look FANTASTIC....that is a plus to leaving the tort be in the back yard.....perhaps just a better gate or fence is what is needed....

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I think this story bothers me the most because the woman had her tortoise stolen from her front yard. The thing that gets me is why would you have them in your front yard in the first place with so much crime? I don’t even put Christmas decorations out anymore because they get stolen in just a short amount of time so the thought of leaving them in the front yard all year long is just mind bogging to me.

http://ktla.com/2014/09/17/carson-woman-devastated-by-possible-theft-of-90-pound-pet-tortoise/

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
If they did the resurch before they get the tort they would know all this! Or join the TFO ! :)

People say this kind of stuff all the time and it bothers the hell out of me because life isn’t always about planning and research. Sometimes circumstances just happen before all that and then it’s a learning process from then on.

I know I didn’t just wake up one day and say “Hey, I think I’m going to do some research and find a pet today”. No it wasn’t that way at all, I just walked into work and someone said I have to get rid of this tortoise, can you take it? I went home that night with a tortoise and had no idea of what I was in for. I never thought I would have a tortoise and it never even entered my mind.

IMG_0767.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Johnny B65
Some people do have it the way you did . But your not what I was talking about ! The person that gave you the tort that didn't plan for the 100 year commitment , that buy the new car and finase it for 8 yrs and only plan for one year of payments , the person that ( 18 year old ) that buys a house finances it for 35 years and only plans for 5 yrs of payments , and the boy that gets married and after 6 months gets a devorce . And leaves the wife pregnant . Yes it riles me too !

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
There was a tortoise that was found meandering Alhambra too, like this guy-http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Missing-Turtle-Reunites-With-Family-277123431.html! :(
Tortoises and turtles require a lot of care, and some owners just don't want to 'deal with it' :( It's sad ending for the tortoise, and the owner probably won't come forward.
The sulcata looks like it's gotten good care, it's a shame that the big guy's is 'lost'. :(

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He's a desert tortoise too, I wonder what happened after that, if he was on loan to the owners :confused:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't know, but it said "Angry Bob has been with the Lau family for about five years" so I'm assuming that he was adopted.

There are times that something just goes wrong...a gardner leaves gate open...someone props something against a wall/fence that is not normally there and the tort is an opportunist at every chance.....so many variables...even if we try to cover them all, sometimes something will still happen....I am happy to hear they have the tort back in their care....

Prairie Mom

I'm amazed by the tortoise escape artists, but also hope loving owners would do everything within their power to find their missing pet. The reason why I'm now a member of this forum is because I found my own wondering waif sulcata tortoise that no one has claimed. I found her in a recent snow storm, which could prove members right who said it may have something to do with not housing a tortoise in the winter. However, I believe that many of the "found" tortoises are found astray, because of impulse buys and far too many people these days seem to have the mentality that animals are objects to be traded or discarded after they cease to hold their interest. Based on the health and several physical characteristics of my tort, we're pretty sure she had never stepped out of an aquarium. I'm guessing she was released because she had OUTGROWN her aquarium and was proving to have greater needs than the owner was prepared or willing to give. I recently went into my city's corporate petstore and was angry and annoyed to see tortoises on sale with a sign that said "lifespan 20+years" and that is ALL. There was no information on how to house them properly and dietary needs. I also don't feel "20+" years is entirely honest.

Last edited: