Supplies for New Enclosure

Tortle101

I'm currently building a enclosure for a Russian Tortoise (That I have not gotten yet) and I am in need of some recommendations for lighting/heating, type of substrate etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Take a look at the Russian tortoise care sheet pinned at the top of our Russian section. I'm pretty sure it tells you what you'll need.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm warm welcome to the forum.

As was mentined, the care sheets will help you here. Please do not forget to post pics, once the enclosure is ready AND once you get the tort.
Good luck.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
People generally recommend a mercury vapour bulb that gives you light, heat and uvb requirements in one.
Don't use the coiled/compact types as they are sometimes bad for your torts eyes or don't produce enough UVB.
Some people use strip uvb lights as their choice.
Coco coir is a very popular substrate but orchid bark and cypress mulch are also often used as is safe non herbicide treated top soil or garden earth, if you're completely sure it's safe and it doesn't contain too much sand.
Have a look at the care sheet http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ for lots more useful advice.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I purchased a Powersun MVB bulb in January and it has been great. They are pricey but it has been worth it to me.