Sunshine Sphagnum Peat Moss - Good or Bad for Enclosure

MesaSully

Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Has anybody used this brand of sphagnum peat moss for a sulcata enclosure?

Sunshine Sphagnum Peat Moss

Any help would be appreciated.

MesaSully

Mesa, AZ
SunShine 3 cu. ft. Peat Moss is a natural, organic soil conditioner and is excellent for growing plants, flowers and vegetables. The peat moss can be used for reseeding lawns and is OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) listed. The natural soil amendment comes in a compressed-volume bag that expands when opened.

• Organic soil conditioner for growing plants, flowers and vegetables
  • Organic conditioner can be used to reseed lawns
  • 3 cu. ft. compressed-volume bag expands when opened
  • OMRI listed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks good to me. Home Depot has a larger compact square bale of peat moss that is cheaper for the amount and is safe. I use it. Don't know the name of it though.

smartypants

I find the peat moss to be SO dusty. Even with constant moistening, misting and just plain ol' dumping water on it. The layer of dust accumulating on fixtures and surfaces near our enclosure is unreal. We are searching for an alternative. I also found the coco coir to be dusty, not as bad, but still unacceptable for my household.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The trick to peat moss is to thoroughly saturate it. I take a few gallon type scoops of the peat and put it in a large bucket and add a ton of water and just let it soak and get absorbed. Once wet, it makes a good moist substrate for a humid environment. Don't let it dry out. If you are having peat dust, it's way too dry.

Peat combined with cypress mulch, and coco coir, and/or orchid bark makes a nice mixed substrate that won't break the bank.