Sunlight

Greta16

Location (City and/or State)
Western Maine
Since Hermie is too small to have an outdoor enclosure just yet I was wondering how much sunlight a day does she require to not use the uvb light indoors?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As far as the UVB - An hour a few times a week is enough. The production of pre-vitamin D is quite quick in the natural sunlight - a matter of minutes. But you need to be sure you have a good basking site where the tortoise can heat up when inside to keep the body metabolizing.

To give you an idea - the human body in full sunlight with arms and legs exposed will manufacture about 1000 IU of vitamin D3 PER MINUTE!

Greta16

Western Maine
As far as the UVB - An hour a few times a week is enough. The production of pre-vitamin D is quite quick in the natural sunlight - a matter of minutes. But you need to be sure you have a good basking site where the tortoise can heat up when inside to keep the body metabolizing.

To give you an idea - the human body in full sunlight with arms and legs exposed will manufacture about 1000 IU of vitamin D3 PER MINUTE!
She has a basking spot in her enclosure that is 100 degrees. When it warms up I'm planning on taking her out every day so I may not turn her uvb light on at all. It may not be feasible for me to be out all afternoon, so just wanted to know the minimum amount of time a day that would be enough. Thanks. ☺

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
While it's true that tortoises may only need a few hours of UV exposure a week for proper vitamin D processing, whether in real or artificial form, plays an indispensable role in the daily routine of a tortoise and is very important to it's health and well being. With that, if you're going to provide light, why not provide the most beneficial type of light for a tortoise, which is UV light. A basking light is very important for a tortoise to control it's body temperature to maintain a regular routine. But a basking light does not provide good overall light within a tortoises entire enclosure to facilitate normal activity. They tend to go from the basking light to a hide area back to the basking light with little other regular activity. Flooding the entire enclosure with good quality UV lighting stimulates more activity and a more normal routine for the tortoise. As long as there are adequate hide areas to also escape the UV rays there is no reason why the UV and the basking light shouldn't be on 14-15 hours daily. This photoperiod emulates the daylight length of mid summer when tortoises are most active.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since Hermie is too small to have an outdoor enclosure just yet I was wondering how much sunlight a day does she require to not use the uvb light indoors?

They are never too small to have an outdoor enclosure. It just needs to be made safe for them. Its easy to make a lid with welded wire or hardware cloth. A main concern with little babies is making sure they don't over heat in the hot summer sun. Monitor temps closely as the weather starts to heat up more and more.

Here are a few ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree with Tom, tortoises are never to small to be outdoors in a secure enclosure. It should also be well thought out and built to provide not only a safe, secure area but also adequate hide areas to escape excessive heat, heavy rains and sometimes cooler weather too. Much of the design of an outdoor tortoise enclosure depends upon the area of the country that you live in and the micro-climate in which you're going to build your enclosure.

Greta16

Western Maine
My husband and I were just talking about that yesterday. I asked him if he could make me one right in the middle of my garden. So we're gonna work on that before everything starts growing in, actually the snow is still melting! I'll check out the links.

Greta16

Western Maine
Basicly, my idea was something portable, made out of something like chicken wire, only with smaller hole that is portable and can be sunk into the ground 3 or 4 inches. So maybe a wooden frame with wire on top and side but no bottom so she can actually be in the garden. if it sunk into the ground 2 or 3 inches do you all think this would be adequate?

Greta16

Western Maine
While it's true that tortoises may only need a few hours of UV exposure a week for proper vitamin D processing, whether in real or artificial form, plays an indispensable role in the daily routine of a tortoise and is very important to it's health and well being. With that, if you're going to provide light, why not provide the most beneficial type of light for a tortoise, which is UV light. A basking light is very important for a tortoise to control it's body temperature to maintain a regular routine. But a basking light does not provide good overall light within a tortoises entire enclosure to facilitate normal activity. They tend to go from the basking light to a hide area back to the basking light with little other regular activity. Flooding the entire enclosure with good quality UV lighting stimulates more activity and a more normal routine for the tortoise. As long as there are adequate hide areas to also escape the UV rays there is no reason why the UV and the basking light shouldn't be on 14-15 hours daily. This photoperiod emulates the daylight length of mid summer when tortoises are most active.
She does have a uvb light, which is on for 12-14 hours. I've just been reading on here that some folks don't use theirs much since their tort is outside so much.