Sully Owner New to Posting, have been a "silent reader" for a while now..

GinaSoCal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Carlsbad, CA
Hey everyone,

I am new to posting, but have been a silent reader for a decent amount of time. I thought I should follow proper protocol and start with an intro post.

I have a Juvenile Male Sulcata who just turned 6 years old this month named Francisco who I have raised since he was a hatchling. He has a decent sized yard, but I am currently in the process of finding new digs for the 2 of us so that he has more room to roam. I live in Southern California, Carlsbad to be exact about 4 blocks from the beach currently.

I have already learned a great deal from all of you guys and from reading every Sully care book and internet posting I could get my hands on when I first got Francisco. He sleeps inside in his own corner on top of and under a series of towels which he burrows into but I am currently looking into building a night box like Tom has posted for him for the colder days.

Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to interacting with you all more as time progresses.

I have included a photo of Cisco from about a year or so ago, I need to get new photos of him soon!

unnamed.jpg

GinaSoCal

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks everyone! Alas so far it has been hard to get Francisco to sit still on my scale & I have yet to try the ole' weigh myself & then again with him to see if that will work. He is due for a bath & shell wax this evening so I shall measure & weigh & report back tomorrow, wish me luck! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gina, and welcome to the Forum!

Put a can of veggies or something like that on the scale then put Cisco on the can.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks everyone! Alas so far it has been hard to get Francisco to sit still on my scale & I have yet to try the ole' weigh myself & then again with him to see if that will work. He is due for a bath & shell wax this evening so I shall measure & weigh & report back tomorrow, wish me luck! :)
Ok, good luck with the weigh in.

GinaSoCal

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Great Idea Yvonne! Granted I would need to hold him there..I will get him weighed this evening one way or another ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Or just put him on his back on the scale. He's nice and smooth for sleeping in towels...:)glad you're posting. Why don't you post some more pix of him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Great Idea Yvonne! Granted I would need to hold him there..I will get him weighed this evening one way or another ;)

Not really. The idea of the can is that the tortoise is high-centered and can only move his legs, waving them around in the air. You need something tall enough that he can't touch anything but air with his legs.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

GinaSoCal

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Kudos & thanks to Yvonne for the veggie can on the scale suggestion! A can of Dennisons chili did the trick & I am happy to report that Francisco is currently 30 pounds, give or take a pound. I will post a couple more photos below & promise to post more as soon as I can.

I also wanted to get your opinion, I have been a bit concerned for quite some time that Cisco has a bit of pyramiding, it seems like his shell is smoothing out as he grows older but was curious as to what you all thought with the photos I've posted thus far. He does sleep inside in his "towel tent" as I call it, I do run a humidifier inside as well, & it is more humid here by the ocean in Carlsbad than it would be inland. His main diet has always consisted of hays & grasses along w Mazuri a few times a week & the dandelion green, cactus pad & Bok Choy treats amongst other treats 1-2x a week maximum. Any advice/feedback/suggestions are always welcome! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407280223.028255.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407280275.175409.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407280313.372393.jpg