Sulcatas and humidity question

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I take very good care of all of my animals...and I have a ZOO! The sulcata that I had, I rehomed out west to a friend because of our weather. Twice the sulcata developed respiratory problems during our rainy season. Sulcatas come from VERY dry country. Yet I've read about their need for high humidity. Here it is very humid year round, but when it rains, it rains for four months! My red foots love it. They run around in the rain. My sulcata....back to the vet. How do Florida, especially south Florida owners keep their sulcatas healthy?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
For Leopards at least the answer is keep them warm. Humid and below 80F is a problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A cold and humid tortoise is a sick tortoise. Hot and humid is a healthy, smooth growing tortoise. Read Toms threads below in my post, it will explain this better.

rearlpettway

For Leopards at least the answer is keep them warm. Humid and below 80F is a problem.

For Sulcata's it's the same thing. They must be kept above 80 degrees.

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When it's cooler here, it's still humid, but generally there is little rain. My sulcata got ill during two rainy and very hot summers. I'll check out Toms post and thanks to all.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well there's 3 types of humidity which a lot of keepers don't understand. All the hygrometers measure relative humidity. But specific and absolute humidity play a huge roll with issues like you experienced. However. Were you certain your Sulcata was 100% healthy. Lots of fungal, bacterial infections can be triggered with temps, rain and humidity influxes.