Sulcata treatment

bolim04

Thank you for sharing your ( bad ) experience with us. Mayby it helps other sick tortoises to recover earlier and better.
Here in Germany it is still to cold too for a tortoise outside. I suspect that it would be may before I can take my sulcata babies outside for a few hours.

Hello

This was my intention that this mistake won't be repeated. And you in Germany and myself in Luxembourg the temperatures are the same so. Don't.

We had now a period wher there was over 10 degrees at night and i sat them outside for 2 hours. 13-15. (21-22 degrees)
I tested the soil and it wasn't cold anymore. But i looked at them and if one only wanted to be in the shadows i immediatly took him inside.

How many do you have? Where do you live in Germany?
Regards

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello,

I live in Lower Saxony in Germany.
The temperatures are mostly equal in Luxemborg and here, that`s right. In my childhood I`ve got 2greek tortoises. I know that tortoises are sensitive to catch a cold or a respiration infect and even sulcatas are more sensitive as greek tortoises.
I have 3 sullie babies and they are 8 months old. They live in a large terrarium in my dining room ( until they will get too big ):)

Regards
Sabine

bolim04

Great to hear :)

Yes sadly it is a bit far away for me.
If not i would visit you :)

If one day you pass by near Luxembourg, message me and we can meet or you come to visit me :)

Yes we have to be more careful about the cold.

I will start building a new house for them if i can get the ok

Regards

BOB

Bee62

Germany
Great to hear :)

Yes sadly it is a bit far away for me.
If not i would visit you :)

If one day you pass by near Luxembourg, message me and we can meet or you come to visit me :)

Yes we have to be more careful about the cold.

Regards

BOB

Hello Bob,

sadly it`s to far for me too where you live. But we can PM and "meet" in the forum if you like.
When my little ones will get too big I have a barn that is completely new renovatet and can be heatet by the central heating. There they will get a room with a door in the garden.

Regards
Sabine

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Greetings Bob,
I will do so now. I am giving you the ok to build a new house for them, LOL.
My next point is I'd like to make this point that has not been addressed in this thread of yours here concerns the 2 differing types of readers you have in the second photo. The one knocked over laying on its face appears to be a digital reader, these are good, reliable readers. The other one that is face up is an analogue type reader. These are known to be bad, inaccurate readers and should never be relied on to provide information in an inclosure for any pet or sensitive situations. Place this one outside on your kitchen window so you know before stepping out the door roughly how cold or hot it will be.
I really hope this helps you get your tortoise healthy faster.

bolim04

Greetings Bob,
I will do so now. I am giving you the ok to build a new house for them, LOL.
My next point is I'd like to make this point that has not been addressed in this thread of yours here concerns the 2 differing types of readers you have in the second photo. The one knocked over laying on its face appears to be a digital reader, these are good, reliable readers. The other one that is face up is an analogue type reader. These are known to be bad, inaccurate readers and should never be relied on to provide information in an inclosure for any pet or sensitive situations. Place this one outside on your kitchen window so you know before stepping out the door roughly how cold or hot it will be.
I really hope this helps you get your tortoise healthy faster.

Hello

Thank you for your advice but i have difficulties to follow what you exactly mean by the "readers"

Sorry could you light me up and don't catch your reference of the pictures.

Sorry i am new here as you know and i really don't know what you mean.

You can also send me an private message if you want

Regards

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think he's talking about the meters (thermometer, etc.)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My reference of the pictures.
Greetings Bob,
We,(none of us) can send pictures in PM conversations. I am sure this is to protect us all from bad people that do at times show up just to cause problems for people. But I will address your questions here to help you and others to learn more,(after all that's what we all want).
An analog type reader is this type, View attachment 204163 take this one and put it outside on your kitchen window so you will have an idea of how cold or hot it will be before you leave your house. As I mentioned, these are not very reliable for our tortoise needs and our needs to read easily and adjust as needed.
A digital type reader is like this,View attachment 204164. This is the base unit for one I use. I keep it on the end table near where I sit in the living room. The remote is wireless, this allows me to see the temperature in the tortoise house without getting up and going outside. Also, it has a switch on the backside which allows me to switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius very easily. You can see it measures both temperature as well as humidity. This is in an adult sulcata hot house, heated by an oil filled, electric heater. As you can see with the low humidity reading, with that electric heat, I need to get the humidity up just like Tom posted earlier.

I hope this helps to clear up your questions, if not, let me know.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491504421.013374.jpg this one- being digital ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491504539.063668.jpg and the two round "clocks" stuck on both ends of my tank wall- being analogue, which are the ones most of us had initially wasted our hard earned money to buy with the initial set up before we knew better. I had never took mine off due to the sticky residue it leaves behind. I don't want to use any solvents in there so the "clocks" look better than sticky mess. Until I got my temp. gun I had 4 digital ones sitting on the substrate in 4 different corners of the terrarium and the probes of thermo-hygrometers deep inside of both hides. Then once those started breaking due to very high humidity, I had my temp gun which now replaces EVERYTHING bcs it's so portable and easy to use. Hardware store ones are so much cheaper then the pet store brands. I had initially got a little cute, tiny one, pen like looking thing fir almost 50$ at Petco, but it was awkward to use and could never see the readings in a dark without putting the lights on... the simple temp gun from Home Depot for 19.99$ (on sale) that easily replaces all the others. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491505538.077179.jpg i love mine!

bolim04

View attachment 204171 this one- being digital View attachment 204172 and the two round "clocks" stuck on both ends of my tank wall- being analogue, which are the ones most of us had initially wasted our hard earned money to buy with the initial set up before we knew better. I had never took mine off due to the sticky residue it leaves behind. I don't want to use any solvents in there so the "clocks" look better than sticky mess. Until I got my temp. gun I had 4 digital ones sitting on the substrate in 4 different corners of the terrarium and the probes of thermo-hygrometers deep inside of both hides. Then once those started breaking due to very high humidity, I had my temp gun which now replaces EVERYTHING bcs it's so portable and easy to use. Hardware store ones are so much cheaper then the pet store brands. I had initially got a little cute, tiny one, pen like looking thing fir almost 50$ at Petco, but it was awkward to use and could never see the readings in a dark without putting the lights on... the simple temp gun from Home Depot for 19.99$ (on sale) that easily replaces all the others. View attachment 204180 i love mine!

Woe thank you
Now i understood everything

Many thanks i will sure consider everything!
I keep you posted

Regards BOB

bolim04

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492464598.530003.jpg

Good news. They are all well
I only have to observe the bigger and the smaler one. But they are eating and eating. I am happy.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just looked at your pic again and my first impression was "cute Frenchie" (if your pup is a French Bulldog), but the second thought is: "maybe I should tell Bob to watch the pup around the torts, especially the little ones in case he is not aware of some horror stories of tort tragic horrific deaths and dismemberment in the mouths of their keepers' belowed dogs. As sweet as most dogs are, at times their playful instinct tells them "what a great chew toy" when watching those little "moving rocks"... again, you may already know this, but in case you didn't I just wanted to put it out there for you

bolim04

Just looked at your pic again and my first impression was "cute Frenchie" (if your pup is a French Bulldog), but the second thought is: "maybe I should tell Bob to watch the pup around the torts, especially the little ones in case he is not aware of some horror stories of tort tragic horrific deaths and dismemberment in the mouths of their keepers' belowed dogs. As sweet as most dogs are, at times their playful instinct tells them "what a great chew toy" when watching those little "moving rocks"... again, you may already know this, but in case you didn't I just wanted to put it out there for you

Hello
Thank you
But no worries. Sine i got him i have put tortoises in ftont of him. He is used to them and he diesn't even try to take them. Once he even barked whrn one got out of the enclosure!

We have him since 5 years now.
He is trained an therefore i have no worries, but when dogs come to visit i pay extremly attention to them .