Sulcata Tortoises

lpcullum

5 Year Member
Let me preface this with I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon, so don't freak if it's off the wall, but, is it possible to have a pet sulcata in areas that have cooler/cold temperatures in parts of the year. I mean places like the northeast US, that can have pretty severe winters (possibly getting to around 20 or lower degrees Fahrenheit). And if so, how? I'm just curious and love learning about this stuff lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Yes, you can. Is it simple, easy or cheap.... no it's not. It takes more preplanning, time, money and work to keep them in colder zones. Large heated housing for them is the key. Folks who keep them in cold climates often also will talk about how even on a day colder then they would expect their large sulcatas will come outside, not for a long period of time before they run back under heat lights or pig blankets, but still they come out. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree with the above. Any species can be kept anywhere in the world. Its a question of time, money, effort, and what you are comfortable with. Personally, I would not be comfortable keeping a large sulcata in a small basement or shed enclosure all winter long. If I lived in a climate like that, I would not keep sulcatas, but that is just my preference.

sburgess1217

5 Year Member
I agree! We adopted a Sulcata from a family member from Chicago. They raised a Sulcata in a tub in their basement. We took her in (they thought it was a male) and she had never been outside, never saw another tort and had never eaten grass, hay or flowers. She's a happy tort now! We didn't want another Sulcata, but with that background, we had to take her.