Sulcata tortoise help

kcanales1

I have two sulcata tortoises and this is the first time that I have them out of their enclosure for the winter.
On the summer they live outside. But they are too big to put them at their tank so they have been in my room all this time until it gets hot outside.

Would they be just fine where they are right now or should I put them in an enclosure with a light?
They are 2 years and a half.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Am I understanding correctly? You have them on the floor in your bedroom? This is not warm enough. They need to be able to raise their body temp to 85 F to digest food. They need a safe appropriate enclosure. At that age they need high humidity too, or they are going to suffer.

kcanales1

Yeah, on the carpet. My room doesn't get cold but still... I was still worry about them.
Should I put them to their enclosure even though they won't have much space to move around?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should I put them to their enclosure even though they won't have much space to move around?

No. You should put them in an appropriately large enclosure that is designed to meet all of their environmental, space and temperature needs.

You should also separate them because tortoises, especially sulcatas, should not be kept in pairs.

Is the floor of your bedroom 80 degrees in the middle of winter? Where is the basking area where they can raise their body temperature to 90-100 degrees? Putting tortoises on the floor usually leads to injury, illness, impaction or death. They need an enclosure and it needs to be big enough for them.

kcanales1

It is 80 degrees since I have other enclosures here I'm my room with lights and heaters.
But I just put them in their old enclosure for right now and I will have to go and buy them another.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Look, I know you're new here and you sound young too. If you bought these tortoises as babies, you probably didn't do much research on this species. Tom is an expert in raising Sulcatas. I have four myself. I converted a shed outside with electricity, insulation, cement-like walls, and lightning for three sulcatas to sleep in. I have a large backyard where they can roam and graze at will even in the winter. All this took planning and money. You say that your sulcatas have an enclosure with lighting, but the space is too small? What is it exactly?
There's real concern here because you probably aren't caring for these animals in the proper way. First of all, like Tom mentioned, their overall temp should be about 80-85 degrees. That means at the floor level, temps should be no lower than 80 degrees. Second, these animals need space...a lot of it! At 2 1/2 years old, your tortoises weigh, what? about 20-40 lbs? It's never a good idea to keep sulcatas inside your room because they can't go outside because of the cold. What are you gonna do when these animals weigh upwards to 120 lbs or more? Have you put some thought of having an enclosure built so that they can stay warm inside during the winter months? How can we help you, and what do you need from this forum? We want to help provide correct information about the animals you have and how to take proper care of them. Can you do that?

kcanales1

Yeah, you're right I'm a young woman and this 2 sulcatas were my first tortoise and sorry for my English because its not my first language.

Well I love tortoises and I had this two since they were 2 months old.

And they do have a big house of wood we just need to add some mercury lights and a heater.

Right now they are in a 20 gallon tank.
And for the summer they do have a big yard not a huge one but it's big.

Well for the future... I hope that would have a property just for them because I'll love to have more.
And we'll I'm not perfect I make my mistakes and I'm using this page to fix my mistakes and learn more about them so they can grow huge and healthy.

kcanales1

Going back to the house of wood if I fix it and add the lighting and close the door will they be good in there?

kcanales1

Look, I know you're new here and you sound young too. If you bought these tortoises as babies, you probably didn't do much research on this species. Tom is an expert in raising Sulcatas. I have four myself. I converted a shed outside with electricity, insulation, cement-like walls, and lightning for three sulcatas to sleep in. I have a large backyard where they can roam and graze at will even in the winter. All this took planning and money. You say that your sulcatas have an enclosure with lighting, but the space is too small? What is it exactly?
There's real concern here because you probably aren't caring for these animals in the proper way. First of all, like Tom mentioned, their overall temp should be about 80-85 degrees. That means at the floor level, temps should be no lower than 80 degrees. Second, these animals need space...a lot of it! At 2 1/2 years old, your tortoises weigh, what? about 20-40 lbs? It's never a good idea to keep sulcatas inside your room because they can't go outside because of the cold. What are you gonna do when these animals weigh upwards to 120 lbs or more? Have you put some thought of having an enclosure built so that they can stay warm inside during the winter months? How can we help you, and what do you need from this forum? We want to help provide correct information about the animals you have and how to take proper care of them. Can you do that?

??

kcanales1

No. You should put them in an appropriately large enclosure that is designed to meet all of their environmental, space and temperature needs.

You should also separate them because tortoises, especially sulcatas, should not be kept in pairs.

Is the floor of your bedroom 80 degrees in the middle of winter? Where is the basking area where they can raise their body temperature to 90-100 degrees? Putting tortoises on the floor usually leads to injury, illness, impaction or death. They need an enclosure and it needs to be big enough for them.

??

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Going back to the house of wood if I fix it and add the lighting and close the door will they be good in there?

How big is the house of wood? Does it have electricity? How do you intend to heat it? With what kind of bulbs/ heater?

kcanales1

What's. ?? ? Do you not understand what I'm saying? Or, do you not agree? Please help me understand..

No, sorry I was only waiting for an answer from what I asked.

And how bit it's.. Idk but I can measure it tomorrow because is 11PM right now . And I was thinking of using Mercury lamps and heat emmiter for the night.
And for the electricity I was thinking to use a cord but if that's not a good idea you guys can tell me what I need for the electricity and ask my stepdad to do it for me since he has an electric company.

Is this a bad idea?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Well, it depends. You'll needs to get a temp gun if you don't already have one. The temp gun will measure the heat temps of the space. If the overall temp in the room is above 80 degrees, and the temps in their hide is about 85 degrees, and the temps don't go below 80 degrees, then it would be better for them IF the space is large enough. These tortoises need space, lots of it. If you're planning to build a house for them, you should build two of them, one for each. I sent you a personal message. You should finds it in your inbox. Did you read it?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
No, sorry I was only waiting for an answer from what I asked.

And how bit it's.. Idk but I can measure it tomorrow because is 11PM right now . And I was thinking of using Mercury lamps and heat emmiter for the night.
And for the electricity I was thinking to use a cord but if that's not a good idea you guys can tell me what I need for the electricity and ask my stepdad to do it for me since he has an electric company.

Is this a bad idea?

This is a great idea :)