Sulcata Tortoise Gohan

Tortoise Sage

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
IMG_0732.JPG Hey everyone, I'm Cristian living the Northern San Diego County and as you can guess I recently got a sulcata about a month ago which makes him about 8 months now. He's still pretty small since he's hovering around the 2 inch mark and he sleeps 2/3 of the day, he's an awesome little guy(hopefully), very active :D, always eating (picky little guy) and pretty strong for something so small! I was told he was an "ivory" colored sulcata instead the average beige tan but he looks like any other sulcata on this forum. I'm open for any and all conversations with anyone because I'm eager to learn about my new child and trail error is a method I would prefer not use for this :rolleyes:. I'm a new tortoise owner and this is also my first pet reptile so my only prior knowledge is from the internet so if you want to help my tortoise grow for the next 70+ years feel free to pitch in your 2 cents.IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0712.JPG

Melis

Maryland
There's a great care sheet under the sulcata section. Are you soaking him? This forum is excellent and provides a lot of helpful info.

Tortoise Sage

San Diego, CA
Yes, @Melis, I've just recently joined tortoise forum formally but I've been looking at care sheets for about a month or 2 prior to getting him! I mostly feed him spring mixes, any weeds and edible flowers I can find but it's a little tough since he isn't eating grass yet. I soak him about every other day, try giving him 30-60 minutes of direct sunlight around the house and more if i take him out. and thanks Tom I've actually been going off those since I got him!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

I think I see your baby has closed eyes in some of his pictures. Does he keep them closed like that often? I'm not experienced with indoor tortoise keeping but I understand it can happen when their lighting is too strong/bright.

Just want to be sure he grows up happy and healthy!

Tortoise Sage

San Diego, CA
He's just sleeping those pictures actually hahah but thanks for the heads up about overpowered lighting @RosemaryDW ! will definitively pay attention to it but I think he's fine for now since he's in a big zoo med tortoise house (36"l x 24"w x 12"h) with 2 hides in it, with one being to the side of the light if he ever wants shut eye and warmth & also another hide that's on the less warm side and no light.
As for your concern though I feel that you should know he just loves taking naps mostly around the basking light haha worried me at first but his colder side shouldn't be too off since avg ambient temp around here is 75-80 degrees (excluding this current 90 degree weather)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. Nice to see new sulcata keepers from San Diego North County.