Sulcata soft shell

will4554

Hello, I jus got my first sulcata a week ago. His plastron has been a little soft since we got him I have read that is normal given he is so young. Today I went to pull him out of his enclosure and I felt that the sides of his top shell are now feeling soft as well. I'm not sure what the problem. Is and was hoping for some possible insight. Just some background on how he is kept.

Basking temp-100
cool end day temp-90
Tank night temp-85
Humidity-70%
Soaks-twice a day 15 minutes each

I have a cuttlebone in his enclosure which he has yet to touch. I have tried putting calcium on his food but I have not been able to get him to eat anything I give him he will only eat if I put him outside and he can eat straight from the ground. If anyone has any tips or ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

surfergirl

Cool end day temp at 90 is high, I would think 80 would be better. What kind of uvb lighting are you using? If you dust the food very lightly with calcium, i have never had any of mine detect it. What is he eating outside? Is it a plant that inhibits calcium intake?

will4554

Even if I don't put any calcium on it at all he still will not eat it. If I put him outside he will eat but only clovers. The uvb light is a reptisun 10.0 and he is also outside in the sun at least 2 hours a day.

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
how old is he? hatchlings will have a soft shell for a while when they are young. keep trying to feed him food in his indoor enclosure, but of course let him graze outdoors also

will4554

I'm not sure of his exact age. The store I got him did not know. He is only a little over two inches long so I would assume pretty young still. The reason is it is worring me is I did not notice his top shell being soft until today. Its possible it was before and I did not notice but I handle him regularly so I think I would have felt it before.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Clover is high in oxalates. This binds to calcium, and prevents calcium absorbstion. Where did you get him? How was he started? Hot and dry or humid?

will4554

I got him from a pet store in my area. I'm not sure how he was started the tank he was in before I picked him up was fairly empty aside from a food dish and a log.

surfergirl

Can you take pictures of him and your setups. How big is he? Is it pliable firm soft or mushy soft?

will4554

This is his current set up and a picture of him. He is just over two inches long.

Attachments

• 1465255907083.jpg
    1465255907083.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 1465255957777.jpg
    1465255957777.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 34

surfergirl

My Little Margie would not touch the cuttlebone but I gave her a few pinches of calcium in a water bottle top and she eats it on her own when she needs it. looks like your sully has its egg tooth still so i would say he is a baby. is the 10.0 repti bulb a coil bulb or straight tube? it looks like a coil bulb in the picture which could cause eye problems. if they do not see real well they are not stimulated to eat. I would get a straight flouresent fixture and take the coil tube lamp out immediately. Keep giving him plenty of natural uvb until you can get the straight tube setup. If he is too hot in the enclosure and cannot regulate his temp he may cease to eat as well. i would get him on a wide variety of greens, weeds not just clover asap. You can try substituing with mazuri if he is still not wanting anything but clover. At leaset mazuri has vitamins/calcium supplements if that can help get him back on track it is worth using. Variety is key and the plaintains and staple weeds that do not bind with calcium are very important.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome

There are definitely improvements that need to be made.

Please start by reading the following

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

For those who have a young Sulcata
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

You need to pay particular attention to humidity and lighting as well as space and diet.

Your UVB is the compact coil type that harms tort eyes. It needs to be replaced by a tube UVB as soon as possible.

Alternatively, replace it and the basking lamp with a Mercury Vapor Bulb that combines both basking and UVB in one fitting.

Those stick on thermometers are not accurate. I will be back with a separate post on lighting and temperature.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Ignore any references to UVA - it's misleading marketing speak.

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp. This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light. About 12 inches above the substrate. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside - yours is too small at the moment.

3. A minimum overnight temperature of (65F for a Russian - preferably not much warmer)

4. Complete darkness at night.

An MVB provides combined UVB and Basking

Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from B&Q will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes.

Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

Coloured heat bulbs should not be used as they colour tank decor and torts have a bad habit of eating stuff they shouldn't if it's a food colour they like.

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also have a good digital hygrometer to measure humidity

Pawciorc

Malta
And it is a very young hatchling, a month old or so. Will harden up in time if kept and fed properly, dont worry.