1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

SULCATA Healthy?you

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by Crazy Tortoise, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Crazy Tortoise

Crazy Tortoise Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if my Sulcata looks healthy to you besides the pyramiding, im already working on that ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487348566.427123.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487348585.358853.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487348596.791175.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487348625.161020.jpg
  2. cmac3

cmac3 Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It's hard to say by pictures. Tell us about his diet, temps, enclosure size, lighting. I remember his enclosure was extremely small at one time.
  3. Crazy Tortoise

Crazy Tortoise Member

Same enclosure for the winter, he is eating lettuce, kale and store bought spring mix, for winter he has a 90 watt heat bulb and a simple uvb mercury bulb, I also spray him once a day and I ordered some eco earth for him, I feed him everyday but here and there ill skip a day and I dust every meal he has, when he wakes up he Doesnt open his eyes right away any more and it takes him a minute or two and he's not that active since I did what you guys told me to do anymore
    Beasty_Artemis likes this.
  4. Crazy Tortoise

Crazy Tortoise Member

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487349737.524746.jpg people are saying i need grass for my tortoise and I just picked this out of my back yard, should I clean It since i have dogs?
  5. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

If its in an area where the dogs pee and poo, then you can rinse or soak the grass first. I use scissors and cut it up. Grab the tuft of grass with one hand and use the scissors to cut it with the other.

Your tortoise is not likely to just walk up and eat a big pile of grass like that since it isn't used to eating grass. Wet your other greens for the day with a water sprayer, then chop a small amount of that grass up super fine and sprinkle it over the greens. Just use a tiny little bit at first and mix it all up really well. The grass will stick to the wet greens and your tortoise will gradually get used to the taste, smell and texture of it over time. Gradually, over a period of weeks, add more and more of the grass. I also try to select tender young shoots of grass for this process at first. When your tortoise is 8 years old, it will just eat any old nasty, stemmy half dried up patch of grass, but for now, start with the green tender young stuff. See all that died up old stuff in your pile? That stuff is not ideal for starting a new tortoise on grass.
  6. Crazy Tortoise

Crazy Tortoise Member

Ok he's actually eating it right now and does he face look healthy to you?