Sulcata hatchling feeding ?'s

Morty'sMamma

Location (City and/or State)
James Island, Charleston, SC
Hi! I'm a very new owner of a sulcata! Morty's about 5 mos old. I want to make sure I'm giving her the right diet. I've ordered a few books and I'm so grateful to have found this forum. I bought Timothy hay from a local feed store and I'm finally getting her to start eating it but she doesn't eat as much as I think she should. I'd like to try and get her some other grasses/plants and put some small pots of them in her enclosure. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding what I need naturally. I'd like to try to buy some wheatgrass but I'm having a hard time finding it already grown. Anybody have any suggestions for some plants that I could buy to get me started until I can get a good garden going to sustain a big part of her diet? She loves carrot tops, African violet blossoms, carrots of all colors, yellow squash. I'm just starting to be able to get her to eat the Mazuri pellets if I moisten them first and mix them in. It's very confusing as I've found so many conflicting opinions on diet. I'd really appreciate your suggestions as I want to provide Morty with a healthy diet! Thank you!!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum. All of the info you need for raising a healthy, baby sulcata is right here on this Forum. From food to lighting to heat, to humidity, to soaking and substrates. Do your research and reading here, and return the books. Most books have very outdated information.

Go to the African Tortoise, Sulcata section and you will find much help!

Heres a good link to get you there. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Have fun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I'm a very new owner of a sulcata! Morty's about 5 mos old. I want to make sure I'm giving her the right diet. I've ordered a few books and I'm so grateful to have found this forum. I bought Timothy hay from a local feed store and I'm finally getting her to start eating it but she doesn't eat as much as I think she should. I'd like to try and get her some other grasses/plants and put some small pots of them in her enclosure. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding what I need naturally. I'd like to try to buy some wheatgrass but I'm having a hard time finding it already grown. Anybody have any suggestions for some plants that I could buy to get me started until I can get a good garden going to sustain a big part of her diet? She loves carrot tops, African violet blossoms, carrots of all colors, yellow squash. I'm just starting to be able to get her to eat the Mazuri pellets if I moisten them first and mix them in. It's very confusing as I've found so many conflicting opinions on diet. I'd really appreciate your suggestions as I want to provide Morty with a healthy diet! Thank you!!!!

Hello and welcome:

This thread was practically written to address your questions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Hay really doesn't work for babies. That is for larger sulcatas. You can introduce it anytime, but I usually wait until they are 10-12". Also, timothy hay is too stemmy and difficult for them to eat. Bermuda grass hay or orchard grass hay will work much better when that time comes.

Most of the care info and books for sulcata care are based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild, and the info is wrong. Read that thread that Maro linked above and give this one a look too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Morty'sMamma

James Island, Charleston, SC
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum. All of the info you need for raising a healthy, baby sulcata is right here on this Forum. From food to lighting to heat, to humidity, to soaking and substrates. Do your research and reading here, and return the books. Most books have very outdated information.

Go to the African Tortoise, Sulcata section and you will find much help!

Heres a good link to get you there. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Have fun.
Thank you! I appreciate all your thoughts and shared info!!!! The books are actually newer but there's so much to learn and I want to make sure I'm doing this right!!! Thanks again and I'm so glad I found this forum!!!!