Sulcata Growth Chart w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I was looking through past threads and realized I never released my original sizes/weights of my four sullies...so here's the chart (of sorts)...with pictures of all four on the dates sizes were recorded!

TORTOISE GROWTH CHART
Aladar h.8/2002
Eggroll h.2/2010
Snowflake h.2/2010
Climber h.9/2009
Jamie (formerly Jimmy) h.9/2009

27 April 2010

Aladar (7 years) 18" 30 lbs
2cp2cet.jpg

Eggroll (2 months) 2.75" 86gr
vevf36.jpg

Snowflake (2 months) 2.5" 57gr
ay52ex.jpg

Climber (7 months) 2.75" 85gr
29f832a.jpg

Jamie (7 months) 2.5" 66gr
28coqpc.jpg

14 December 2010

Aladar (8 years) 19" 40 lbs
13zzb48.jpg

Eggroll (10 months) 3" 126gr.
2d2fzva.jpg

Snowflake (10 months) 2.625" 55gr
6h269g.jpg

Climber (15 months) 3.5" 131gr
25evivn.jpg

Jamie (15 months) 2.75" 98gr
2dsgvf7.jpg

5 April 2011

Aladar (8 years) 20" 48 lbs
xcq6o3.jpg

Eggroll (14 months) 3.625" 142gr
sblnwk.jpg

Snowflake (14 months) 2.812" 57gr
20i77lv.jpg

Climber (19 months) 5" 413gr
2zodp4h.jpg

Jamie (19 months) 3" 113gr
2zivpxg.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed that! I hope it answers some questions! Looking forward to all remarks...both positive and neutral:p In addition, I mentioned in someone else's thread that I'm steering away from market greens! They are all getting TORTOISE LASAGNE everyday. Other than that there is an entire yard full of grasses and weeds for them to graze on...and they do! ;) I also offer them fresh chop! Check out the last shot of Aladar below...that Lasagne is about 5 pounds of fresh chop (i.e. freshly mowed lawn...NOTHING goes to waste around here!

ejezb8.jpg

Look how much larger Climber is than the others...I'm very happy to see that Snowflake has grown at all...

264if5i.jpg

Here's Aladar going off on a Tortoise Lasagne that contains about 5 pounds of fresh chop.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
wow that is some size difference between snowflake and eggroll. Aladar looks awesome....

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Snowflake looks as delicate as a little porcelain doll. I think she needs to come live with me and have her every whim and wish catered to, and you can replace her with a more robust ivory girl. Just think about it :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Aladar looks awesome. He has a majestic quality about him. I love Ivories.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Nice. Looks like Eggroll is smoothing out a bit.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
dalano73 said:
wow that is some size difference between snowflake and eggroll. Aladar looks awesome....

Good point! I did forget to mention (this time) that Eggroll and Snowflake are from the same clutch...as are Climber and Jamie:)

yagyujubei said:
Wow, Aladar gained 18 pounds in a year.

Yeah...he's gained some. His motto: Anytime is a good time to eat! :p Climber has taken this approach, as well Iin fact, Climber follows Aladar around just so he can snack on fresh (Aladar) poop! Nice! Also...every other day, Aladar gets double Lasagne...one in the morning and one in the late afternoon!:rolleyes:

Edna said:
Snowflake looks as delicate as a little porcelain doll. I think she needs to come live with me and have her every whim and wish catered to, and you can replace her with a more robust ivory girl. Just think about it :)

She is a little angel...sorry she's not going anywhere! A very wise friend of mine convinced me to hang in there and try to turn her around myself...advice I've taken to heart! Another thing! From what I understand, Ivory girls are few and far between...and I've got two;)

onarock said:
Nice. Looks like Eggroll is smoothing out a bit.

Yes! She is! All four youngsters are getting soaked 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the late afternoon. They are outside exercising and eating...they have the run of the yard...and Aladar is an excellent babysitter! Also, I chase 'em around with a squirt bottle every hour or so! Two of them, the little ones, are burrowing in the tall grass for up to 2 hours at a time. Eggroll has caught on to this in the past couple days.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
DeanS said:
She is a little angel...sorry she's not going anywhere! A very wise friend of mine convinced me to hang in there and try to turn her around myself...advice I've taken to heart! Another thing! From what I understand, Ivory girls are few and far between...and I've got two;)

Understood. But part of being a good auntie is letting the kids all know there's an alternative, you know, just in case their parents are being mean to them or something. So the offer remains open;)
Another part of being a good auntie is sending those noise-maker toys as gifts, but you don't have worry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are cracking me up Edna. Funny stuff.

I like 'em all Dean, but Aladar is just magnificent to look at. Can you imagine when he's a hundred pounds in a few years?

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Good grief Aladar is gorgeous! He is seriously one handsome guy! How do you weigh him? We're trying to figure out the best way to weigh Tex.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
jensgotfaith said:
Good grief Aladar is gorgeous! He is seriously one handsome guy! How do you weigh him? We're trying to figure out the best way to weigh Tex.

I have a scale that tops off at 300 pounds...I'm hoping he hits the halfway point:rolleyes:

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
What type of scale is it? So far we've had our personal Weight Watcher's (LOL) scale and have had my husband weigh himself and then weigh himself again holding Tex, but we know it's not accurate.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
jensgotfaith said:
What type of scale is it? So far we've had our personal Weight Watcher's (LOL) scale and have had my husband weigh himself and then weigh himself again holding Tex, but we know it's not accurate.

Thats probably the most accurate way to do it thats what the vet tells us to do with the dogs..

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
jensgotfaith said:

It's the VET-TEK 2000...a walk-on scale like you see at the vet's office...picked one up at a yard sale for $50, had it calibrated and it's a beauty!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Climber has really hit a growth spurt in the last 4 months!! He looks great, as do all the others. Interested to see how the Mazuri only diet works for you.

Are they able to graze all year long where you are in SoCal?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ticothetort2 said:
Climber has really hit a growth spurt in the last 4 months!! He looks great, as do all the others. Interested to see how the Mazuri only diet works for you.

Are they able to graze all year long where you are in SoCal?

Climber is a little beast...he eats...and eats...and eats a little more! He NEVER tucks in...even when he gets sprayed.

When I say Mazuri only...that means the only manufactured food. Of course, they'll still get cactus daily (or at least every other day). Oh, and I forgot to mention, I grind up cuttlebone and put it in their Mazuri while it soaks! For the curious ones, I don't use any vitamin supplements...I stopped that last year!

And Yes! They can graze 'til their little hearts' content;) Even in near freezing temps, the grass stays green...this year will be the first winter that I'll let the little ones graze (if they grow enough through the summer and fall).

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I grind up my cuttlebones also, takes a little time but its cheaper than buying calcium in the bottle..

Status
Not open for further replies.