Sulcata food growing and eating

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello my tortoise and turtle friends. I hope all is well. It's been some time since I've come onto the forum. I don't have much of a valid excuse really.

Anyways, yesterday I realized that my sulcata, Dexie (I recently changed the name from Dexter to Dexie as the notice in change of gender formed) had been eating like a champ. Yesterday, I threw out a romaine head lettuce, mazuri, chard, and some weeds, I came back to check on her and it was nowhere to be found. It seemed like she was looking for more food. I knew she could eat a lot, but it finally struck me how much. I've been running out of places that I find safe I find weeds in bulk, so I've been growing my own plants. Currently, I'm growing cactus, aloe Vera, watermelon (for fun), carrots, yellow crooked neck squash, cucumber, summer squash, snapdragons, day lily, and a few weeds that I transferred from the country.

I'll be heading over to check on my tortoise in a jiffy so I'll post updated pictures of my plants, and MAYBE Dexie. Here's a few for now.

Dexie being fed by my girlfriends niece.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398444609.333098.jpg

Enjoying the mud bath
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398444660.383029.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I forgt to mention I'm growing radishes as well (for the leafs).

Snapdragon (all is edible)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398453169.384898.jpg

Opituna cactus
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398453190.630975.jpg

Baby radish leafs.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398453203.268033.jpg

Yellow crooked neck squash (all is edible)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398453225.131728.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I almost forgot to mention that my sulcata is 6.5 pounds (2.94 kg), 10 inches (25.39 cm) long and 7 inches (17.78 cm) wide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is Dexie a tortoise that you got from me? She's lookin' pretty darned good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can still remember how I was continually surprised at how much my first sulcata could eat as it gained size. Amazing.

That's why I say that anyone who owns a sulcata also needs to learn how to be a farmer. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I've started trying to grow food for Bob, but it rains so much and not much sun here...

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Is Dexie a tortoise that you got from me? She's lookin' pretty darned good.

I got Dexie from Katherine from Louisiana. She hasn't been on the forum for quite some time. I agree, she looks great! She seems very healthy and is on a nice regimen.

Tom, I agree. I really enjoy watching all of my "crops" grow. It just needs to get going so that I can feed it!

Maggie, that's too bad. I think I recall you're from Oregon? I bet it's tough with all of that rainy weather. I'm going to a wedding in August in Eugene.

M

Maggie Cummings

I got Dexie from Katherine from Louisiana. She hasn't been on the forum for quite some time. I agree, she looks great! She seems very healthy and is on a nice regimen.

Tom, I agree. I really enjoy watching all of my "crops" grow. It just needs to get going so that I can feed it!

Maggie, that's too bad. I think I recall you're from Oregon? I bet it's tough with all of that rainy weather. I'm going to a wedding in August in Eugene.
You'll be about 35 miles from Corvallis. You are welcome to come and meet Bob and the other chelonia if you are interested.
Dexie looks nice and smooth, you are doing a great job with her...

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You'll be about 35 miles from Corvallis. You are welcome to come and meet Bob and the other chelonia if you are interested.
Dexie looks nice and smooth, you are doing a great job with her...

I may consider that. I will mention it to my girlfriend. It's her family so I'll see what they have planned. I'll PM you when it gets closer.

M

Maggie Cummings

I got some kale, radicchio, butter lettuce, zuchinni, and peas coming up! Don't need sun I guess...

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I got some kale, radicchio, butter lettuce, zuchinni, and peas coming up! Don't need sun I guess...

That's good stuff. I didn't know they could eat sugar peas?! I've thought about trying that.