1. Hello guest! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and have a great time chatting with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Sulcata- dry/flaky face HELP

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by pneumaticbetta, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pneumaticbetta

pneumaticbetta New Member

My sulcata has a dry flaky face. i was wondering what are the symptoms of this? is this normal? what should i do? thanks.

steve

[​IMG]
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer Staff Member

Hi Steve: There's nothing wrong with dry flaky skin in hatchlings. Desert tortoise hatchlings are notorious for flaky skin around their neck area. Just keep the food washed off his face and I'm sure he'll be ok.

Yvonne
  3. maggie3fan

maggie3fan Well-Known Member

Hey Steve...are you soaking him everyday? Hatchlings dry out really fast under the hot lights. While they do have dry flaky skin, if he is dehydrated he'll look like that as well...
  4. pneumaticbetta

pneumaticbetta New Member

i try to soak him but he hurrys out of the water right away. am i supposed to hold him in the water?
  5. purpod

purpod New Member

Hi ~

If you set your babe up in your kitchen sink with luke warm water, he will have no place to excape to. You might wanna put a heat light over the area so that he does not become cool or chilled as the water loses its' heat.

But honestly, he looks fine ~ quite a cutie too!
    Happy Day,
    Purpod
  6. maggie3fan

maggie3fan Well-Known Member

I soak my small tortoises in a tub they can't escape from. I just soak them for 5 minutes or so. If a tortoise is dehydrated he will generally drink as soon as you put them in the water. Then after they drink you put them back in their habitat. So it's up to you to provide the routine for him and once you teach him, he'll drink and you won't have to hang lights over the water or anything like that.
    A small soak everyday does it!
  7. dcoolguy68

dcoolguy68 New Member

I soak mine everyday for like 5 minutes or less in a glass bowl with warm water and they can't escape lol.... The flaky dry skin isn't a bad problem since they're in the heat a lot of the time just make sure to soak them everyday and they're skin will look better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.