Sulcata ate dog poop with hookworm eggs?

C_P808

5 Year Member
We have a 7 week old puppy that is infected with hookworms. He was treated a week and a half ago with Drontal to help rid him of them. Unfortunately, it appears there are still eggs (no worms seen) in his poop so he will probably need to be treated one more time to fully rid him of them. Our 5-6 year old, 60-70LB Sulcata, knocked down the dog poop bin and went to town on its contents. I fear my poop craving tortoise definitely ate those eggs and could now get badly infested with them. What should I do? Do I need to get him wormed now too? I know tortoises naturally have some parasites so IDK what the best plan of action should be.

You should probably get the tortoise that ate the poop checked for worms. Just bring in a fresh sample of your tort's feces. I'm not totally sure though, I've only had my tort for nine months.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would treat the tortoise too, however, I THOUGHT Drontal was for tapeworm.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old was the poop? How long ago before fresh poop was put into the bin? I only ask because if you take the torts poop in too soon, nothing will show up. Also, because worm eggs can live for years in the ground, it is bad to not be throwing the poop into a bag and throwing it into the trash.

Last edited:

C_P808

5 Year Member
I would treat the tortoise too, however, I THOUGHT Drontal was for tapeworm.
I believe the vet said Drontal, but I may be mistaken.

How old was the poop? How long ago before fresh poop was put into the bin? I only ask because if you take the torts poop in too soon, nothing will show up. Also, because worm eggs can live for years in the ground, it is bad to not be throwing the poop into a bag and throwing it into the trash.
The poop ranged from 1-5 days old. We clean up the poop daily, dump it in a trash bag, which is in a metal trash can. We then take the trash out weekly to be picked up. He knocked over the trash can, lid popped off and he got to the stuff inside.

Called the vet and said not much we/they can do right now. Just gotta bring in a tortoise poop sample after at least 48 hours.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe the vet said Drontal, but I may be mistaken.

The poop ranged from 1-5 days old. We clean up the poop daily, dump it in a trash bag, which is in a metal trash can. We then take the trash out weekly to be picked up. He knocked over the trash can, lid popped off and he got to the stuff inside.

Called the vet and said not much we/they can do right now. Just gotta bring in a tortoise poop sample after at least 48 hours.
Okay, sorry misunderstood. Read more like there was a bin.

daniellenc

Maryland
Hooks worms usually will take weeks to show up in fecal matter but luckily if he does get them deworming is cheap and easy!!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Hookworm life cycle is 2-4 weeks. Not weeks. How bout we share correct information to help those with questions. Drontal is for Hookworm, Roundworm, and Tapeworm. Dog and cat Parasites will not affect Tortoises and vice versa. They are species specific. Run a fecal good idea. If there are not any pathogenic parasites on the fecal don't worry about it.
P.S. how bout you people post your location under your avatar. Do you not get that we can offer more advice if we know where you live?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there, C_P808 and thanks for coming here. Welcome, please stick around because there are a lot of really good experts that can help you.
Seems like your tortoise should be fine, just give it a bit of time, like a few weeks and get it checked.:)

Bee62

Germany
Hookworm life cycle is 2-4 weeks. Not weeks. How bout we share correct information to help those with questions. Drontal is for Hookworm, Roundworm, and Tapeworm. Dog and cat Parasites will not affect Tortoises and vice versa. They are species specific. Run a fecal good idea. If there are not any pathogenic parasites on the fecal don't worry about it.
P.S. how bout you people post your location under your avatar. Do you not get that we can offer more advice if we know where you live?

Thank you for the informations about the cat and dog parasites (worms) and that they can not live in a tortoise.