Substrate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I am using a mix i "created" of mostly cypress mulch, with a bit of sphagnum moss and reptibark mixed in. I would like to know if i should occasionally stir/mix up the substrate? If so, how often? Thanks yet again gang. :)

Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used sphagnum moss when my Leo was little. It molded on me. So, for that reason I would say yes to stirring it up. I also think it should be stirred up anyway.
It really depends on the activity of your tort. I would do it at least once a week maybe once every two weeks, depending on the humidity your tort requires. I don't remember what you have, sorry.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I used sphagnum moss when my Leo was little. It molded on me. So, for that reason I would say yes to stirring it up. I also think it should be stirred up anyway.
It really depends on the activity of your tort. I would do it at least once a week maybe once every two weeks, depending on the humidity your tort requires. I don't remember what you have, sorry.

I have a baby cherry head, so humidity is pretty high. Following the dry on top, moist on bottom rule, i was confused as to stir, or not to stir?..Although the top layer seems to dry out very fast anyway, figured best to ask. Ill give it a mix every so often now. Thanks again :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have it layered with the moss on top, then I wouldn't stir, unless you can remove the moss off the top, stir and the put moss back down. I would just worry about the moss molding. Some say it doesn't mold, but it did with me and it wasn't because there was food in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.