Substrate

Purplechic

Location (City and/or State)
I have to change my turtles cage and I've been using moss and sorry brain fart I can't remember the name of the other stuff but it's the stuff that you put outside at your house around plants. I mean that stuff works but it's big pieces and I find sometimes the pointy stuff it looks like it in might hurt so I'm just wondering is there something else out there that is a little bit more friendly and not so much dirty? I used to use the shavings that were like a yellow and I was told they were too drying even though it was Zoo Med and I like that because she really stayed clean and I was able to see everything but with this other stuff I can't see a lot because it's wood. Just would like to know what is best.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For box turtles I just use potting soil. Have used it for many years.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use 100% organic peat moss. It's like dirt.

Purplechic

I actually ended up getting double shredded bark mulch and it really worked really well. It is softer. :)

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I actually ended up getting double shredded bark mulch and it really worked really well. It is softer. :)

Depends on the mulch...mulch of pine and cedar can be toxic! Cypress is ok but it doesn't hold moisture well! Frankly, I am not a fan for mulch at all even if it's Cypress and used as a topper. You would have better results with a mixture of organic top soil, peat moss, or coco coir. You can even use damp sphagnum moss. Dried leaf litter is also great with giving organic matter for the enclosure and keeping the substrate moist. I would consider these options and the ones given by others before using mulch.

Purplechic

I actually got double shredded Oak bark mulch. It works really well in it she likes it

drumsfield

USA
For my indoor habitat. I use organic potting soil with no perlite or animal by products. (Nature's Care Organic Potting Soil) I bake it in the oven at 280 degrees fro 20 minutes to kill off any parasites or bugs that may be living in it. And a layer of eco earth (coconut fiber) on top of the soil to help hold the moisture and prevent bugs from nesting in the we soil.

Freckles24

TN
I use eco earth (I ordered it online for like $5 for 3 bricks) it's super soft and holds moisture/ humidity well