substrate

lskaife

how often should I be changing out the substrate for my tort completely?? I obviously spot clean but when should i change it out completely to eliminate any chance of issues.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
What type of substrate are you using?

cathy111111

Hi I use coir and sterile top soil mix for my horsefields. I spot clean daily and then do a total clean and change every two months x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because my only indoor habitats are during the winter, I start fresh annually, and keep the same substrate all winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most all topsoil one buys at a nursery or big box home improvement store has been sterilized. But you have to watch for additives. You don't want one with fertilizers, pesticides or perlite or vermiculite in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
how often should I be changing out the substrate for my tort completely?? I obviously spot clean but when should i change it out completely to eliminate any chance of issues.

I never change mine, unless I move the tortoise to a new enclosure. In that case, I throw out the old substrate and I replace it whenever I'm going to move a new tortoise into that enclosure.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I think if you spot clean any waste/food, you should be fine with keeping it for long periods of time, as Tom said. They can be messy creatures, but all in all a pretty "clean" animal.....

Just keep an eye out for mold/rot (which there shouldn't be any if temps are correct?) and stray food that might get dragged in to hides.....

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Depending on size of environment I would say yearly. Provided that you pick up turds tha stand out from time to time.

I guess you can't change it to often but that stuff gets pricey