Substrate questions

Kaska

I'm getting my first redfoot. I have the closed enclosure with Zoo med eco earth coconut husk now. Is this best? There's so much out there on substrates! I also wonder about cypress mulch or orchid bark? I read to use dirt mixed with a little play sand is great. I just don't know. I have bad mold allergies and need to be careful with that. Also how often do I need to do a total change to avoid odor? I will keep it moist for humidity but don't want mold odor or mites. Can anyone clear this up for me??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The coco husk is fine. You just moisten it then add water occasionally to keep it moist. Substrate is a personal choice. I prefer orchid bark, but many folks use coco husk. The only way to know which one works best for you is to try them all. Use one, then when it gets dirty or needs changing, try another.

If you spot clean and don't allow old food to stay in the habitat it should not smell or grow mold. I use the same substrate a whole season. By 'season' I mean the whole time I have an indoor habitat, which amounts to fall, winter and part of spring until the weather warms up enough for them to go outside.