substrate question

Blkjkoknhrt

Maybe dusty because it's not kept moist? I have 5" organic topsoil then a damp mix of coir and ZooMed forest floor. It's fantastic. I keep it moist with a Fogger or spray. No dust and no respiratory issues.
I use repti bark - the little reddish (cubed-lookin) bark pieces mixed 1/2 with coco coir. Packs nice, holds moisture, and dries evenly. No dust!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Misting with a sprayer bottle adds moisture to the air and only the very topmost layer of the substrate. It's endless and inefficient, as you've noticed. The habitat needs moisture on the bottom of substate deep enough to burrow into. Use a watering can. If the tortoise doesn't spread the moisture, then stir it in yourself. Sometimes I use a sandbox tool, sometimes my hand.

I like a mixture of coir and compost with a tiny bit of sand.

Blkjkoknhrt

I like the watering can idea, I have caught myself pouring water directly from a bottle onto the substrate in the hottest quadrant. AND I do have special tools to stir it in with. Good thing for me maintenance means interaction so I don't mind the near-daily misting. I'm a "dabbler" when it comes to pets, been there, done ALL that in the long past. Now, I just keep a few critters to keep me busy during TV commercials.
1 - 6 ft female Bullsnake, 1 - 6 month H.boettgeri and 2 male and 2 female bettas in bowls.

I'll try the watering can, if that doesn't bring up the HUM with a few turns, I'll try increasing the coco soil in my substrate

thanks for the tip, see you in the forums!

Attachments

• IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 3

Blkjkoknhrt

Misting with a sprayer bottle adds moisture to the air and only the very topmost layer of the substrate. It's endless and inefficient, as you've noticed. The habitat needs moisture on the bottom of substate deep enough to burrow into. Use a watering can. If the tortoise doesn't spread the moisture, then stir it in yourself. Sometimes I use a sandbox tool, sometimes my hand.

I like a mixture of coir and compost with a tiny bit of sand.

Actually, I mist until the top is saturated, but not every day, sometime I miss no more than 1 day. When I read the HUM, I get 40-70% topside and 60-90% underneath, 8-12 hours after spraying. That's what's working, the dry top layer and the humid ity below seeping up. I hear ya, it's tricky, but I love monitoring and "micro-meddling" anyway.